ergonomic work items

Questions and information about accessibility, equipment and related issues.

Moderator: pmaxwell

ergonomic work items

Postby marie86 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:56 pm

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows what is supposed to be the best kind of chair for people with SM, especially for sitting at a computer or even doing other work at a desk. I have to go back to work on this coming Fri. and they are moving me to another room with a new boss. The chair I had last year was not too good and I told them that they should be able to find something better for me. I was not as worrried about it last year either as the boss that I had did not have me do any computer work or sitting for a long time. I have a syrinx the size of my whole spinal cord, spinal stenosis in the lumbar area, and scoliosis. As far as my work knows they just think I have a really bad back, but I never told them the gorey details, for fear of them laying me off. I work as an Instructional Assistant at a Middle school. I also should find out what kind of keyboard and mouse I should use, as I don't want to get carpal tunnel; my hands already have arthitis in them and I can't type too fast.

Thanks for any help that you can give me,

Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:38 pm

Re: ergonomic work items

Postby Janice » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:44 am

Hi Marie,

This information was already posted on this forum. There were a few links that I didn't save so you might want to do a search to see what's out there already. Maybe searching under "ergonomic(s)" would be your best choice.

Take care and hang in there. I'm surprised your doctor returned you to work with so much still going on.
GOD Bless!

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4 (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Posts: 4412
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 6:44 pm
Location: Escondido, California

Re: ergonomic work items

Postby Sarah in Paradise » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:50 am

Marie * and any others reading later

I think I'd seriously consider two ave's here in this situation ( even if you've already met /worked this through but IF your still finding it uncomforatble sitting at work or in school ect ) .

First - talk with your local primary care doctor OR a local /regional phsiatrist ( physical medicine and rehabilitation specialist physician with a focus on spine /brain rehab medicine and using medicine to help us find a place of wellness within the impacts of our dammaged bits ect > -- ask where in your area there is a specialist in addaptive technology who can help evaluate your full erogonomic needs at work ( and or in any home work setting your considering or have . )

Also check ./call your regional Independent Living Center to explore /discuss what sources of addaptive technology funding are available in your area /state -- ALL states have federally funded state vocational rehab depts . and If we are still working or plan /hope to return to work with acm /sm impacts - they can and do fully HELP determine what will allow the greater sucess physcially /and will purchase it for your use at work ( if the empolyeer won't /or wishes to use =provide a less expensive soultion that does work well ect . )

Truth is -voc rehab depts LOVE someone who IS still trying to work - or investing in our situation like this =because it often does make the huge differance and allow us to remain with work much longer ( or indefinitly ) MUCH easier to help with , than starting from scratch !

Sarah in Paradise
Sarah in Paradise
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:52 pm

Return to Equipment/Accessibility

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests