Confused...Should I see a Neurosurgeon or Neurologist?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Confused...Should I see a Neurosurgeon or Neurologist?

Postby catfish » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:03 pm

Okay - my original SM diagnosis came from a Neurosurgeon. So if I'm looking for an SM specialist for a 2nd opinion and better treatment, should I be looking for a Neurosurgeon or a Neurologist?

The reason I ask...I just called a NS that was mentioned by a message board member and they had never heard of SM and a second person even got on the phone and said they have never treated anyone with SM in their office. She referred me to a Neurologist to see if they had heard of it. ?????? Am I crazy or is that weird? I'm thinking that's definitely NOT a good sign that this dr is the one for me!!!

Postby Ryzing » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:34 pm

Hi Catfish,

This is a big one that has been debated on this several times in the past. (There is also a poll on it in the "Poll" section.) You will probably get several varying replies, so I will start off by saying that I see a very knowledgable NEUROLOGIST. I guess you could say I got lucky when my PCP referred me, because my NL knows what SM is and how to treat it. His father, who is a NS, is in the same office.

Good luck!

Syringomyelia - C4-T12, Fibromyalgia, Scoliosis, DDD
"If you don't change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever. Is that good news?"
User avatar
Posts: 1316
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 2:37 pm
Location: Berlin Heights, Ohio

Postby powerlineman » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:44 pm

I see a NS, but have seen a NL in the past and the NS knew a TON more about SM than the NL did. The NS also treated me better. I still see him to this day and will continue to.
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 8:22 pm

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests