Leg problems

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Leg problems

Postby lhaight » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:45 am

My son who is now 8 (almost 9) had decompression surgery a year and a half ago. He has been basically okay - some headaches/dizziness from time to time. However he is able to go to school, play sports etc. Recently he has started having leg pains - typically in the shin area. Has anyone else's child had this type of problem? This may just be growing pains, but it is getting to the point he feels like he can't walk. He described it as my legs don't feel like they can hold me up mom. This was never a problem presurgery. Headaches, dizziness, and severe stomach problems had been his original symptoms. If anyone has anything to share, I would love to hear it. His next yearly visit to the neurosurgeon is in May. Thanks!
lhaight

Re: Leg problems

Postby lcolangelo » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:36 am

I have a 13year old daughter with chiari-- she has had 5 decompressions because of bony regrowth--- after her 2nd surgery-- she began complaining of leg pain-- near her knee area-- it would bother her to walk/run etc. Shortly after that her other symptoms began worsening-- more headaches, swallowing problems, etc.... The surgeon wasnt convinced there was a correlation-- though I def. think there was-- Since then, each time her symptoms worsened-- she had the leg pain..... Hopefully this isnt the case with your son--- but something you should def. keep in mind---- take care.

Lisa
lcolangelo

Return to Pediatrics