Hand controls on cars

Questions and information about accessibility, equipment and related issues.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Re: Hand controls on cars

Postby hjwats » Wed May 11, 2011 12:14 pm

Isn't the global economy wonderful. It's even better when the business school types combine it with " just in time " inventory control. Since I gather your van was used before al this It probably limits your flexibility as far as options go. I am so sorry you are stuck with a problem like this that should have been avoided.
hjwats

Postby karenb » Sat May 14, 2011 4:14 pm

Harry,

My parts problem is actually due to the Tsunami in Japan and the general Toyota parts shortage... I told my mechanic I'll be fine, as long as my parts don't glow in the dark! :lol:

I was actually very blessed to find this van. It was a "fleet vehicle", so it had only about 18,000 miles on it when Braun purchased it and did a generic RampVan conversion. (They do this every year to try to keep these vans mildly affordable - for me, it easily saved at least $24,000.) The real problem is the lack of professionalism, training, & experience on the part of the local technician - he was way too new to be "flying solo" without supervision. Once my van is working again, I'll take it up with the regional manager...

In the meantime, I'm getting a great upper body workout with my manual chair. The biggest difficulty I have right now is getting the chair out of the van (I'm not nearly as limber as I used to be!).

Karen
karenb

Postby karenb » Thu May 19, 2011 8:53 am

My parts came in, and the mechanic has certified that they don't glow in the dark!

I'll be travel up to Albuquerque on Tuesday to have my van repaired, and will come home Thursday or Friday.

Karen
karenb

Previous

Return to Equipment/Accessibility