WHEELCHAIR

Poll the audience here!

Moderator: pmaxwell

are you in a wheel chair and if so tell us why?

YES
22%
NO
78%

Total votes : 18

WHEELCHAIR

Postby razzle » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:53 pm

TELL US STORY
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Re: WHEELCHAIR

Postby Janice » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:04 pm

Violent leg tremors (full body tremors), leg/back pain and leg weakness. Too many bad falls and very unstable due to tremors begin as soon as I stand.

My first symptom was violent right leg tremors that began one morning out of the blue, when I got out of my car to go into work. I was pre-admitted to hospital after I saw my PCP, then a Surgeon that very day. I went through surgery (not related to SM), 2 days later was dx'd w/SM and transferred to Acute Rehab (learned to manage w/a walker). I was released 10 days (or so) later with a walker, and under the care of pain management. I was never released back to work and was referred for wheelchair evaluation 7 months later.

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby semery44 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:45 pm

i am confined to my 2nd floor bedroom since Mar2009. I had 2nd decompression & detethering in 2002. I had severe belance issues than. Gradually i went to a cane and than a walker. I struggle now with a walker to get to the bathroom. I do have a wheelchair and I am waiting for the VA to add a handicap accessible bedrood and bathroom to my first floor. I will than be confined to my wheelchair but at least I will be able to move around the house :-)
CM-decompressed 96' & 02', SM-02', VP-Shunt
Central Sleep Apnea, Vent Dependent @ Night
Balance difficulty, pins/needles in hands/feet
lost sensation of touch, smell & hot vs. cold
plus a host of other symptoms :)
semery44

Postby karenb » Thu May 06, 2010 10:11 pm

I started using a walker 3 years ago. As things progressed, my endurance decreased and my legs started to fatigue more easily. I started using a manual wheelchair 2 years ago because my legs were no longer stable enough to be "out & about" for a long period of time (like going to the grocery store...) or in the evening (fatigue). I finally started using the motorized wheelchair 16 months ago when I had carpal tunnel surgery (I actually developed carpal tunnel syndrome from my walker). My surgeon prescribed Physical Therapy to get me back to where I could use my walker. Today my PT, in consultation with other PTs in the practice, concluded that I've reached maximum improvement, and will never be safe with the walker. Sigh... I guess that's why I'm posting on a poll that's 4-1/2 months old. :(
karenb

Return to Polls