Does the Weather effect your pain/ symptoms?

Poll the audience here!

Moderator: pmaxwell

Yes: increased pain
14%
Yes: increased symptoms
6%
Yes: increased pain and symptoms
73%
No
8%

Total votes : 66

Postby agnesd79 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:41 pm

Do changes in weather; be it hot or cold? rain or shine? effect your pain levels and symptoms?
DX ACM 12/06; Decompression 1/07; Bacterial meningitis 1/07-2/07; LP Shunt 2/07; Wound Revision 3/07; 2nd LP shunt 4/07; LP shunt revision 5/07; VP Shunt 7/15/08
agnesd79

Re: Does the Weather effect your pain/ symptoms?

Postby Janice » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:57 pm

Weather can effect both my pain and other symptoms. Good topic.

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Re: Does the Weather affect your pain/ symptoms?

Postby jswack » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:56 pm

Changes in atmospheric pressure can affect intracranial pressure, and I do feel increased pressure sometimes with changing weather fronts. Jeanne
jswack

Postby sunnyb1 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:32 pm

I have just recently correlated increased symptoms with low pressure systems. Once a high pressure system works back in, my symptoms subside sunstantially. That said, I am in extreme pain without the low pressure, so when It's raining, I am almost incapacited. Summer in Virginia is a contnuous high pressure syatem, so OMG, I'm dreading the next three seasons.
Rutpure L5-S1 and C4-5,
Bulges L4-5 & L3-4 and C5-6,
Scoliosis,
5mm ACM,
Bochdalek Hernia
Hypothyroid after RAI for Graves disease.
sunnyb1

Postby mikewk » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:17 pm

Most definitely for my 18 yr old with a cervical syrinyx, thoracic hemangioma, inflammation beind his r ear mastoid area, no Chiari and severe allergies, etc etc. He is in college and within last couple of weeks has decided to double major: Meterology and premed because he feels compelled to study and do research in these areas. However with all of his symptoms I hope he can make it thru school, we just take one day at a time.
mikes mom
mikewk

Postby tattoodlb1 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:42 am

I am not sure, I have never tried to tie these together. I know I am almost always miserable.
Syringomyelia entire spinal cord including throughout conus, Chiari ? Hemangioma T2, Multiple Tarlov cysts; Empty sella & degenerative disc disease entire spine.. severe Fibromyalgia (central cord hypersensitivity).
tattoodlb1

Postby megsmom » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:16 pm

I've noticed that as it is getting colder and wetter out that my head spasms and general pain in my head (only since surgery of course!) is worse!
megsmom

Postby tattoodlb1 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:21 pm

I wanted to respond that I have thought about this and can say with certainty that hot weather makes me even more miserable than anyone can think possible.

The heat and humidity just make me feel like over-cooked spaghetti with just about as much personality and energy. :(

I am okay with cold as far as I know.
Syringomyelia entire spinal cord including throughout conus, Chiari ? Hemangioma T2, Multiple Tarlov cysts; Empty sella & degenerative disc disease entire spine.. severe Fibromyalgia (central cord hypersensitivity).
tattoodlb1

Postby trigal1 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:43 am

Yes! I am better then the weather channel at predicting a storm front. I get flashing lights in my peripheral vision just prior to a storm front moving in...
trigal1

Postby June » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:10 pm

Cold causes increased pain for me. The muscles in my back seem to tighten, causing my upper back, shoulders, and neck to hurt even more than usual. I have SM T6-T8/9.
June

Postby alishakb » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:37 pm

Definately Yes! Cold and/or rainy weather is very bad. Makes me ache more than usual and I have already learned from years of going through this that I will not be able to function when it's cold AND raining. So I go ahead and get comfy in my recliner with a heating pad (as is the case today). :evil:

On the other hand, the warm sunshine is my best friend. :D So on those spring or summer days, when the sun is shining, even if I don't feel well enough to do much of anything, I still go sit outside in a lawnchair and try to soak it all up.

I also have been wondering about Barometric pressure......although I haven't put it all together yet. I just know that at times when the weather is changing, my head tries to come off of my shoulders.......

Hope you all have a good day.

-ali
alishakb

Postby hbananax0 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:56 pm

I never noticed this before the surgery so it could be the rods/screws/plate or maybe its just because i was in so much pain before i just didn't notice a difference but when the barometric pressure gets bellow thirty I always end up in bed for the day in crazy amounts of pain. It's been raining for a week and a half here so i'm not really a happy camper right now...

-Hannah
Chiari 1 Malformation, EDS, Tetherd Cord, Cervical Instablity, Cranial Settling, Occipital Neuralgia, Retroflex Odontoid
ICT @ TCI 9-26-08
ICT, PFD and CCF Oc-C4 @ TCI 1-28-09
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/hannahpatry
hbananax0

Postby adcolbar » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:52 am

Yes the weather effects my pain and symptoms.
adcolbar

Postby artgirl » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:27 pm

Absolutely YES! it seems that the "changing seasons" are the worse when the barometric pressure is constantly changing. & like someone else mentioned, i always know when a storm is coming, the pressure in my head is explosive!
syrinx~bottom of C4 to top of C7 6mm wide..spinal cord buldge & herniated disk @ C5.
lyme dz & mycotoxicity
artgirl

Postby chrisb » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:45 am

My dr has actually recomended that i move toa place with more stable weather patterns, HA like there is actually a place like that LOL. But yes the weather affects both my pain level and my symptoms.
Good topic
39yr old Army wife with 4 kids.
SM from c4-c5 thoughout entire spinalcord. Compressed C5 and L1. hydromyelia, Osteoporosis.
chrisb

Return to Polls