My new scooter--personalized w/graphics now

Questions and information about accessibility, equipment and related issues.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Postby Janice » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:36 pm

Thanks for the info. Right now I am using a manual wheelchair and wanted information on a scooter.

Janice
Janice

scooter vs power w/c

Postby Mary Alice » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:50 am

Oddly enough, before I began to face all my surgery options with ACM and cervical syrinx, my real job is as an occupational therapist with a specialty in high end rehab seating and mobility. There is irony or karma or something of the sort at work....

Anyway, to anyone considering powered mobility, make sure you know the differences between scooters and power chairs. Make sure that you are talking to a company that has a RTS (Rehab Technology Supplier) on staff and not just a sales rep. Hopefully you will have a therapist (PT or OT) involved in an evaluation for a product. It is a big investment that a funding source expects to last for a long time!

Basic difference is that a scooter has the tiller to drive. Handles in front where you have your hands forward in front of you and turn the tiller to make the scooter turn. A power chair is, in its most basic form, driven with a joystick. You can use a power chair with less sitting balance and trunk control than a scooter requires.

If you want a product to use inside and outside your home, and you have any narrow hallways or tight turns into bedrooms, you probably want to think mid-wheel drive power chair. Scooters don't corner so well in tight spots.

I hope that makes sense. I tend to ramble when it is late, and I am tired. Feel free to ask questions if I don't make sense!
Mary Alice
Mary Alice

It is late...I forgot to say scooters come apart earlier!

Postby Mary Alice » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:09 am

That is another big advantage of a scooter over a power w/c. Scooters will typically come apart into about 3-5 pieces that are fairly manageable. Power chairs can be made to come apart too, but my opinion is that most of the power chairs that come apart do not hold up nearly as well as the ones that don't come apart.

I am very sleepy and thinking maybe my headache has dulled enough that I can actually sleep. I do look forward to talking more!
Mary Alice
Mary Alice

SCHOOL

Postby razzle51 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:26 pm

Wow how come so early with school . Ours has only been out 2 weeks , summer break just getting started .
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Scooters

Postby Speedy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:25 pm

:D Hi, I am a return to the board. It has been a year. I did change my user name. I came back from time to time just to read. Your post brought me back. Thanks, because it has been lonely going it alone. I have just been told that I have to be evaluated for an electric scooter. The fact I am going to be in a wheelchair is not as stressful as what the insurance is putting me through to get there. Let me ask you a question :?: My insurance is making me go through a PT to see if this is a Want or a Need. I guess they thought I got up one morning and decided that it would be nice to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair. Now my Neurolgist is the one that said it is time due to the progression of my illness. However, I still have to go through all of this. Sorry this post is so long. I am a professional and an author and I do not know all of the short cut email language down. All I know is standard wording. Also, I am trying to hold on to my job. Do you work? Or anyone reading this? How did the scooter work out at your job, I will need to sit in it all day. I would love to hear from someone. By the way, my staff is real supportive. However, my boss is not. I could use any help that I could get. Thanks for accepting me back.
Speedy

Postby Janice » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:20 pm

Hi Speedy,

The only part of your post I can respond to is going to the PT for determination of need or want. I had to do this and basically the guy did ask me why I wanted to be in a wheelchair. I did let him know that this was not my request this was a request made by my doctor and that there is also a need due to the pain in my legs and back that I experience from the shortest distances. The use of the walker, although it had a seat for when I needed to rest (which was very often), does not stop the pain.

His decision was that I needed to have the wheelchair and put in the referral.

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby Speedy » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:24 am

Janice: Thank you. The left side of my body is getting very weak. I have a Srying at C3 at 17.1 mm. It is affecting the left side of my body and I am left handed. I am cane assisted on the left side. I also have osteo. My doctor is afraid, as am I, of me falling. I did not wake up one morning and ask God to put me in a wheel chair. But I know it is in his will. I am in so much pain and I am still trying to work, the wheelchair would be a blessing, if you know what I mean. Thanks for responding. My evaluation is Dec 5.
Speedy

Postby svennobalance » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:51 am

I finally gave in on the assistive devices and got a three-wheeled walker and I love it. I can walk so much better, catch myself when my knee buckles, have reasonable balance. I wish I'd gotten it a year ago.
Gabriel
chiari, decompressed dec 05, syrinx, hydro, baclofen pump October 2007, rev jan '08, VP shunt April 2009
svennobalance

Scooter Info and disability help

Postby Snowwlion » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:13 am

Hello all,

Happy Valentine's Day

I got hurt at work over 2ys years ago, but was only dx w/SM the later part of '07. I'm getting ready for an appeal because the judge ruled to disallow my SM which will basically let my employer off the hook and give them leverage to force me back to work. My reality is that i'm 20/45 when I need 30 yrs service and 55 yrs to retire with any kind of income.
(School Administrator) I've heard that if I can't go back to work mobile, they can force me to stay out. Thus i need a some custom wheels. ( i can't walk concrete at all- the pain is miserable ) I do ok on hardwood @ home but of course i can move at my own pace. My brain is fried so i can't seem to sort anything out; household, wrk comp, SSDI... :oops: I've read and i know that most of you have traveled this road longer than i have. I'd appreciate ANY help and words of incouragement to help me in this journey. :cry:
Snoww
SM, B/H disc and other crappy stuff
Current motto for peace-
I promise, to maybe try, to think about considering, to slow down and possibly do less.
Snowwlion

Postby Janice » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:45 am

Hi Snoww,

I'm extremely sorry that this is happening to you. Especially that it will let the employer off the hook for something you acquired through your employment with them.

I don't have a scooter because I needed the leg support you get from a regular wheelchair. Therefore, I have a regular, cushioned w/c style by "Drive", but the chair is electric. If you would like more information, just PM me.

Take care and I pray everything works out for you, in appeal.
GOD Bless!
Janice

Janice

Scooter

Postby AllinJac » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:38 am

Did you pay for the scotter or did you get it through insurance. Is there anyone here that has medicare and was able to get a power chair or scotter through the medicare insurance program? I am considerable young (at least i feel like I am) at 33 to get one but I have so many medical issues with all of my joints it is getting very difficult to get around.

With two young children it is hard to go anywhere with them as I can not walk more then 10 minutes without extreme pain.

Anyone out there that was succesful about getting a power chair or scotter with Medicare please let me know. I have a mobility apointment with my doctor on the 14th of this month and going in for surgery on 16th so I would love to get it done before that.

I am going in for surgery for a bone graft on my femur and replacement of cartlidge in knee. Plus they are going to break my shin bone so they can straighten it so that it does not create any stress on the new donor bone.

Thanks in advance for anyone that responds.
Wether you think you can or you think you can't you're right.

AllinJac

Have SM C6-C7
Recovering right now from:
Right leg high tibial osteotomy with osteochondral plug allograft to medial femoral condyle.
Blog: http://allinjac.blogspot.com
AllinJac

Postby AllinJac » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:14 am

Wish me luck I am going in for my evaluation tomorrow morning, oops today :) (it is now 1:30 in the morning). Hope it works I could really use it.

Will reply after doc appointment.

AllinJac

Have SM C6-C7
Right leg high tibial osteotomy with osteochondral plug allograft to medial femoral condyle.
AllinJac

Postby Janice » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:39 pm

Let us know how it went. I remember having mine, it was more of a joke than anything. I didn't get the facility my doc wanted me to have and the therapist I had just said, well if doc x wants you to have, it you got it.

No measurements, nothing. I got a call from Apria and they brought out a chair.

I hope you have a more thorough evaluation that at least includes measurements.

I now have an electric w/c so it doesn't matter.

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Janice

Postby AllinJac » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:39 pm

It was more of a Joke then anything. I went in for my appointment at 9:30 only to find out that someone in the office changed my appointment time and doctor without telling me!

They said sorry we have to reschedule, and I said no way. I am not leaving here until you see me.

The doctor knew nothing of SM and made the comment "I have seen it before but it is mostly found by accident as it does not have much effect on the body". Typical I guess. Spent about an hour in the appointment - no measurements though. And he appeared to want me to be able to get the device, so I hope it goes through.

I called the Scooter Store as they are preparing all the documents to find out where we stand. Hopefully I will get a call back latter today as the doc did write a script for the device.

Hope it works.

AllinJac

Have SM C6-C7
AllinJac

Re: My new scooter--personalized w/graphics now

Postby smcan » Tue May 13, 2008 12:22 am

Hi, thanks to all for the info and comments. I signed in a while ago and was getting ready to post a question like this covered in this topic. How do you really know when you need mobility assistance? I may start a new post after I get some sleep but did want to try here.

The info in this topic is really helpful. I have been denying to myself but believe I am ready for some mobility assistance but not sure what. Because my gp and even my primary NS only seem to look at the size of my syrinx and say that's great(it has decreased to 1/2 it's width in the past few yrs) they do not seem to hear me when I tell them how much my pain and sx have progressed. So before I further pursue this I wanted to reasearch the issue further.

A yr ago, I knew I could reaslly start using a cane at night. My legs lock, buckle or give out whenever they want. Sometimes if I have a heavy day, more so than others. 2 yrs ago my daily walks went from 30 mins to 2, 10 mins a day. Now, walking for about 10 mins causes me such probs with my legs and pain. Also, meds sometimes have a dizziness side effect when I am out or even get up from a sitting position.

At this point, I know I need help but just considerd a cane or even a walker as the answer. I have needed both after a duraplasty surgery and thought they were only for something like this or in with extreme cases.

I am looking for experience or advice like in this post- when are you ready for a chair or scooter? The past months, I have had only 1 fall, but I "almost" fall 2-3 times, at least, once a week. I walk around the house usually holding onto a counter or a wall, even still mu legs or anksles become weak or choose inopportune moments to surprise me more.

I am stubborn - took me yrs to even be open to pain meds and I always thought a wheel chair was for paralysis. I have been thinking differently lately. Sx-wise, I also have quite a bit of trouble with arms from the elbow down and my hands. They are numb, tingling, burning and paining just upon waking up. Same thing happens when typing about 10 mins or even holding a book or phone for the same amount of time.

Thank you to all again,

Lisa
smcan

Next

Return to Equipment/Accessibility