therapeutic hot tubs

Questions and information about accessibility, equipment and related issues.

Moderator: pmaxwell

therapeutic hot tubs

Postby lljacskon » Tue May 27, 2008 9:55 pm

OK everyone...does anybody have a hot tub that was purchased for therapeutic reasons and you insurance covered it? My daughter did some house sitting for a friend and she had a hot tub. Kaylie said this really helped her tired muscles at night.
Much love to all,
Lisa (
Kaylie's Mom)
My beautiful daughter who has Chiari 0 Malformation and SM
Decompressed 6-16-09
lljacskon

Re: therapeutic hot tubs

Postby dtyree » Wed May 28, 2008 6:33 am

I would kill to have one. It does not have to have a pop up TV, drink holders, aramatic sprayers, lights that change colors, just lots of water jets. Did some checking with my doc, he would not write a prescription, checked with the insurance co, they would not cover it. Guess it has not yet been discovered as a therapeutic item yet.

Peace,
David
Been called a "walking medical dictionary".
dtyree

Postby Janice » Wed May 28, 2008 9:08 am

I wonder, if the prescription was written by a therapists rather than a doctor, would the insurance then cover it. I think if your healthcare provider (therapist, doctor, whoever) pushed hard enough, you could get anything covered. It really all depends on the determination of the person requesting the item.

There are some out there who refuse to take no for an answer even if there has to be a work-a-round. Such as, we won't pay for the purchase of one, however we will pay for a membership to a gym that has the necessary equipment.

I have one doctor on my team like this. However, most insurance companies will only take information from the doctor (etc) requesting the service.

I hope this makes sense. I had a hard time constructing (? see what I mean) what I wanted to say.

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby trendz » Wed May 28, 2008 8:56 pm

I just spent 7000.00 on a hot tub this past weekend. My mom and dad have one and it is the only time I am in NO pain. It is incrediable. I have a tuff time getting in and out due to knubness in my left leg but i manage. I got a script from my doctor but BC/BS said they wouldn't cover it. They said they would pay for gym membership that has a hot tub. HUH! I cant drive due to my legs. That cracks me up about the gym membership. Are they going to pay a cab to take me and someone to assist me in and out. What a joke. Anyway the hottub is amazing and it is worth every penny. They did tell me since i got a script from the doctor i could write the hot tub off on my taxes at the end of the year.
Tranquility to All
Alana-PA
Luv Mufin to my hubby, Mommy to my angel Kaden, Daughter to the most incrediable family, and Boss to my amazing group of employees who are keeping my bus.running during my storm

SMT6-8
Dx-10/07 Surg-12/07
trendz

Postby Kathy2020 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:25 pm

I'm a lot late with this post, but oh well. Does anybody else have pain when showering or trying to get into a pool or hot tub? Water makes me paralized. It did that even before surgery.
Chiara I, SM C1 to T10. Decompression 1994,
Kathy2020

Postby marymac » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:07 am

Hi there:

Yes I do. i dread getting in and out of a shower/pool/hot tub. It really hurts, but for short period of time. Still,
lucky enough to have those things but there's a problem getting in and out. Small price to pay when nothing else does.
Feel better
Marymac
Marymac
Central disc herniations C5-6 and C6-7, extensive syringohydromyelia cavity throughout the cervical & thoracic cord (large syrinx from C6 inferiorly.)

"Every day is a gift: Thats why it's called the Present"
marymac

Postby auntmary » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:03 pm

I was in a hot tub on Sat. felt good for about 5 min. and then it didnt feel as good . That night I couldnt lye down and ended up in E.R on Sunday for a shot for pain . I could'nt help but think it had something to do with the hot tub but I thought that was crazy it should have made me feel better . Mary
auntmary

Postby Dcuster » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:21 am

what I did with mine was get the script from the doctor, go pick out the hottub, they do not charge any tax at the tme on it because of the script. Also at the end of the year you can claim it as part of your medical expenses. I got to even charge the amt of money it cost to buy the wood to build a deck for it and the elctrition to come do the wiring for it as well. That was about 5 yrs ago and everything went fine with taxes etc.
SM t10-T12 2.5 x 1.1 cm in dia, thorasic shunt 2002,
Pineal Cyst, C5-C6 fusion 2005, Lumbar L2-L6 w/4 level fusion with hardware 2006, adrenal gland tumor, 7-8 thyroid nodules, 2008 C4-C7 Corepectomy with hardware.
Dcuster

Postby syrinx48 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:14 am

I Have a hot tub at home and I hate it to go in there. I can't stand the waterjets, they hurts, like some said too. Having a shower isn't that painfull.

Annemarie from Holland
syrinx48

Postby JaneMWM » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:32 am

Kathy2020 wrote:I'm a lot late with this post, but oh well. Does anybody else have pain when showering or trying to get into a pool or hot tub? Water makes me paralized. It did that even before surgery.

oh definitely, I am frankly traumatized by the process of having to get a shower all the time. It's a horrible pain and I get where I can't breath from it. There is some serious dizziness too. I didn't realize I wasn't the only one. I thought it was because I also have a metal allergy (like hard water causing it to act up). I even get it when I wash my hands. Water hates me.
JaneMWM

Postby razzle » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:49 am

breathing and dizzyness in the shower is medication related . I was on 2 meds that did that to me. R
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby JaneMWM » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:27 pm

i'm on a pain med and an antidepressant. do you know which it may be?
JaneMWM

Postby jgirl_75 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:43 pm

I have a hot tub, but it needs the "hot" fixed. It relaxes my muscles better than the meds I am prescribed and sleep very sound. I hope to get enough money to have it repaired soon.
jgirl_75

Postby chrisw » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:45 pm

humm. I have a jacuzzi tub but it makes my symptoms/pain worse. my doc/therapist tell me only ice no heat with SM.
SM, Chiari 0 (Rosner), Diagnosed 8/08 after car accident 6/08, Vitamin D deficent
chrisw

Location: Columbia, SC and lots of time near Blacksburg and Smith Mountain Lake in VA

Return to Equipment/Accessibility