How many have had a Lumbar Puncture?

Poll the audience here!

Moderator: pmaxwell

How many of you have had a lumbar puncture? How was procedure performed. Complications?

Yes, the traditional fetal position.
30%
Yes, lying flat on stomach.
19%
Yes, other position.
7%
Complications?
20%
no complications?
15%
No
9%

Total votes : 54

How many have had a Lumbar Puncture?

Postby Icequeen32 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:14 pm

JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF IM THE ONLY ONE OUT THERE WHO HAD THIS PROCEDURE DONE DIFFERENTLY, AND IF ANY COMPLICATIONS AROSE AFTERWARDS. THANKS TO ALL WHO RESPOND!! I REALLY APPRECIATE IT :D
sm T10-L1 and another within conus, trigeminal neuralgia, tmj, bulging dics, silent sinus syndrome, fibromyalgia, mild scoliosis, bursitis/tendonitis and impingement syndrome, sleep apnea/hypopnia
Icequeen32

Re: How many have had a Lumbar Puncture?

Postby tlserenity » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:10 pm

I have had them both ways. And other than increased pain afterwards for a couple days - no other complications.

Must say i prefer the ones that were done when i was on my side!!!
Terry Lynne
*I am not my pain. I am not my past. I am that which has emerged.*
tlserenity

Postby alison » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:33 am

ive had about 13 lumber punctures done in about 6months!
alison

Postby Icequeen32 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:22 pm

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!! How?? The pain was so bad during my first one...months later, i had forgotten i even had that procedure :roll: ...of course, i also have a tendency to block things out that disturb me. Now to find out I may have to get it done again?! All I can say is they better knock me out!...can they? knock me out i mean?
sm T10-L1 and another within conus, trigeminal neuralgia, tmj, bulging dics, silent sinus syndrome, fibromyalgia, mild scoliosis, bursitis/tendonitis and impingement syndrome, sleep apnea/hypopnia
Icequeen32

Postby tlserenity » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:03 pm

For whatever reason - the doctors who did mine wouldn't knock me ouot first. the last one i had though was so painful they did give me shot of the 'twilight sleep' med. So i think it all depends on your doctors and your pain levels.
Terry Lynne
tlserenity

Postby Icequeen32 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:45 pm

Yeah, the dr kept telling me to relax as i was screaming...he hit a nerve that contracted my back, right buttock,leg down to my toes into severe spasms...and they kept telling me it would go easier if i could just relax those muscles. As if i could control the spasms myself!!The nurses had to hold that leg down. I begged...no ORDERED him to stop or else, of course he didnt and they still didnt give me sedation. Well they did give me a valium before the procedure--didnt help.

Is it normal for your blood pressure drop real low afterwards?
Icequeen32

Postby tlserenity » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:00 pm

I don't know if it is normal or not - but mine always did - I have Addison's - which always causes my BP to drop in stressful situations.
Terry Lynne
tlserenity

Postby June » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:31 am

Had it the usual way. Then there was a leak of spinal fluid, I think. Anyway, I had one of the worst headaches of my life, went to the ER, and had a blood patch which took care of the problem. A very unpleasant experience.
June

Postby alison » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:06 pm

can they put you to sleep for lumber punctures?? i think ive been through so much worse pain this last year that a lumber puncture was nothing!!! but then i knew the lumber puncture was the only way to do some of the tests and get some of the results that i put up with it!!!
alison

Postby tlserenity » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:59 pm

Some doctors will put you into a twilight sleep - but that all depends on the doctor and your history.
Terry Lynne
tlserenity

Postby hbananax0 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:02 pm

I had a tradional LP and at the childrens hospital they sedate everybody. But because of my chiari I have a very high drug tollerance and after five adult doses of vercid i was still awake telling them not to come near me until I was atleast somewhat tired. The meds had no effect on me so they decided to just hold me down and do it even though i told them not to. I spent the next hour they keep you there yelling at the nurse, the nurse practioner, and my mom for letting them do it. I don't think i've ever been so mad before in my life. It ended with the nurses crying and saying they were sorry. It shouldn't have happened in the first place, you don't hold a patient down instead of just trying something else. Even the doctor said thats what they should have done. Then to top it off, I ended up with a leak but I wouldn't let them do a blood patch because I just wasn't letting them near me again. So I spent the next two weeks lying flat In bed. It was just a bad day all around.
Chiari 1 Malformation, EDS, Tetherd Cord, Cervical Instablity, Cranial Settling, Occipital Neuralgia, Retroflex Odontoid
ICT @ TCI 9-26-08
ICT, PFD and CCF Oc-C4 @ TCI 1-28-09
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/hannahpatry
hbananax0

Postby Janice » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:27 am

Hi Hannah,

That's sounds like a horrible nightmare!!! :evil: I'm so sorry that you had to encounter something like that. Good for you, for voicing your thoughts/concerns/opinion to everyone.

Take care, (((((hugs)))))
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby pseudotumor » Thu May 19, 2011 1:48 pm

Icequeen32 wrote:Yeah, the dr kept telling me to relax as i was screaming...he hit a nerve that contracted my back, right buttock,leg down to my toes into severe spasms...

This has been my experience twice, and i'm hoping it wont be the same for my 3rd tomorrow...
pseudotumor

Return to Polls