Poll for those whom have been awarded disability..

Poll the audience here!

Moderator: pmaxwell

You were awarded disability based on which of these scenarios?

I was awarded based solely on my Chiari malformation.
7%
I was awarded based solely on my Syringomyelia.
36%
I was awarded based on both Chiari and Syringomyelia.
14%
I was awarded for one of these and another unlisted condition.
43%

Total votes : 14

Poll for those whom have been awarded disability..

Postby youngwife » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:34 pm

I am curious to know of those of that have been awarded disability, how many have had Chiari and Syringomyelia or just one of these conditions.
Homeschooling mom to 6 wonderful blessings from the Lord. ~ "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." - Ephesians 4:29
youngwife

Re: Poll for those whom have been awarded disability..

Postby razzle » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:07 am

Both conditions with Syringomyelia as no 1 disorder as SSD accepts it and does not Chiari .
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby Janice » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:09 pm

SM was documented first, then my doc listed the neurological deficits I was experiencing at the time, by dx.
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby donny » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:58 pm

Heidi was awarded dissability but it might be due to all her conditions or surgeries, she has cm not sm but shes also had numerous surgeries mostly orthepedic, shoulders arms elbows, so I guess its a combination.
Take care
Don
donny

Postby rachelle416 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:06 am

I ONLY HAVE SM AND WAS APPROVED RIGHT AWAY ON THE SOCIAL SECURITY WEB PAGE LISTING CONDITIONS ELIGIBLE FOR SSD SYRINGOMYELIA IS LISTED HOWEVER CHIARI IS NOT LISTED.
http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professio ... .htm#11.19 Syringomyelia
SYRINGOMYELIA IS AT BOTTOM OF PAGE

HERE IS A COPY AND PASTE PORTION OF IT

11.19 Syringomyelia. With:

A. Significant bulbar signs; or

B. Disorganization of motor function as described in 11.04B.

I KNOW THERE ARE PEOPLE WITH CHIARI WHO NEVER EVEN HAVE SYMPTOMS THEIR ENTIRE LIFE BUT SOCIAL SECURITY REALLY SHOULD ADD IT TO THEIR LIST WITH CERTIAN REQUIREMENTS JUST LIKE THEY DID WITH THE SYRINGOMYELIA
RACHELLE S.
DIAGNOSED 6/05
SYRINGOMYELIA C3-T2

HOPE EVERYONE IS FEELING GOOD OR AT LEAST OK, IF NOT I HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER!!!!
rachelle416

Postby lavala » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:54 pm

Took me years to be awarded SSA/ Medicare and they backdated my claim. Went through a hearing with attorney. Diagnosis clearly stated syringomyelia. Finally I got 2 functional assessments and a statement from pain doctor that I had fibromyalgia and an early morning hearing (me not medicated) to do the trick.

I guess it takes the right persons to assess you and an advocate/ lawyer depending on the office you go through.
lavala

Postby karenb » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:29 pm

I only have SM, and that was what was documented in the paperwork. I think the final decision was based on the documented dx of SM, plus the cumulative deficits I was experiencing (pain, fatigue, medication side effects, length of time I'd had the condition, etc).

Karen
karenb

Postby hartagold23 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:21 am

I was awarded for SM and TSCS.
SM/TCS/SB-lipoma/B12 def/Scoliosis/IBS. Had TCS surgery May 24 '07-syrinx totally drained! CSF leak repair--July 16 '07. Currently using a walker for short distances, probably permanently. Surgery was worth it to kill most of the pain!
hartagold23

Postby gunflint » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:32 am

I Have yet to be awarded SSDI. In fact they are waiting for my follow up visit to NIH to see if the syrinx shrunk from the surgery. I asked them if they Knew that decompression surgery didn't cure anything and the best one could hope for was to slow progression? She said she knew that but wanted to wait for the follow up exam before making a determination. Go figure.
gunflint

Postby Jerry80871852 » Tue May 14, 2013 12:21 am

1. Post anterior cervcal fusion changes C4,C5,C6
2. Chiar 1 malformation with herniation of the cerebellar tonsils though the foramen magnum. In addition, there is a high-riding odontoid and combination of these finding causes focal mass effect on the base of the brain stem and medulla
3. Dis desiccation and posterior broad-base bulge of C3-4, effacing the anterior sac, causing mild to moderate central canal stenosis.

After this I had a Myelogram which showed bone spurs on C-6, which is behind the titanium plate & screws from when I had the fusion in Feb. 1999.

Above is part of the finding on my MRI from 2001, along with from a Myelogram, my NS wanted to run it because the MRI was bleary in the section where I had the fusion &
titanium plate & screws, sure enough there was bone spurs back there that was not showing up on the MRI.

I filed for SSD after my 2nd neck surgery Feb 2000 when it did not help & I was turned down. In 2001 after my doctor had tried to get me to go for another MRI many times because of the troubles I kept having, I went for my 3rd MRI. After this I filed again, they told me I had to refiled because it had been to long, but SSD approved me all the way back to when I 1st filed May 2002, & stated, that I was not going to get better, but expected to get worse. I thought they might check me again in 7 years, but they didn't, & now I'm 66 going on 67 come December.
May the Lord Bless,
Jerry

Joshua 24:15 "...choose you this day whom ye will serve...but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Jerry80871852

Return to Polls