weather playing a role on more pain?

Poll the audience here!

Moderator: pmaxwell

What type of weather seems to bother you most?

Cold
21%
Hot
6%
cold /rain
41%
Hot / rain
10%
other / explain
19%
weather doesnt bother me
3%

Total votes : 70

Postby razzle51 » Tue May 22, 2007 11:53 am

I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

weather pain

Postby joeysmom » Fri May 25, 2007 10:07 am

For my son it is any low pressure system. Doesn't seem to matter if it is a cold or hot one, just a low pressure.
joeysmom

Weather

Postby melissajohnson1968 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:54 pm

Both bother me, and high or low pressure fronts are killers
melissajohnson1968

Postby preciousheide » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:32 am

Cold bothers me extremely bad. I think it is due to the muscles tensing up putting pressure on the spine etc.

I live in Alaska, so for the last nine months I have tried to stay inside as much as possible.

I use auto start on my car and wait for the car to get blazing hot before I dare go to it.

Sometimes too much heat bothers me too, but only because it seems that I will be freezing and then I could be really hot. Feel like I am going through mentopause at 25.
preciousheide

Postby bri23t » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:54 am

count me in on being worse w/ the pressure changes...especially when i was still in fla i noticed whenever the rain was coming i could count on my head to get so much worse...the rain in the cold hasnt seemed to bother it yet
dx CM and SM 09/05, failed PFD 10/05
VP shunt 11/05
removal of cerebral tonsils 1/07
SM (through entire spinal cord)
TCS and EDS dx at TCI 4/08
TCS surgery 4/08, pfd revision and VP shunt revision 5/08
bri23t

Postby georgiagal » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:36 pm

DH is bothered by the cold more than anything. This is a man who could sweat by just saying the word -- Not anymore. Being cold makes him tense up and the pain gets worse.

We've taken to putting the electric blanket on the bed so he can relax while he sleeps. I turn it down when I get into bed, then later end up turning it off because I'm the one sweating (dog doesn't mind it though).

GG
georgiagal

Postby MorningBroken » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:05 am

actually cold and/or pressure changes bother me the worst, I guess. Here in West KY, we dont have much snow during the winter, its more rainy and 35 degrees *shivers*. I stay cold and tense from about Oct. through Mid May.

Told my BF once that I'm looking forward to the hotflashes of menopause, cause then maybe I'll finally be warm for a change. :lol:
MorningBroken

Postby SMLady » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:21 pm

I have worse pain when there is a drastic sudden change in the weather. For example, when it's 30 here one day and 60 the next. Anything like that makes my pain go through the roof.
Proud Mom of One Son
Idiopathic SM T1 - T9, DDD, Scoliosis, Pinched Nerves, Bulging Discs, Spondylosis, Stenosis
----------------------------------------------
The Man who walks with God always gets to his destination.
SMLady

Postby Terri in Cali » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:45 pm

I found the barometer plays a role in my pain. If the barometer drops, I feel it. The greater the drop, the greater my pain. 1200mb or so is normal here and I am OK, but if it is lower than 1000mb, I can definately feel it. Lower than 950mb, Forget It, I am in bed and cannot move.
Terri in Cali
ACMI 22mm herniation
Decompressed 9/4/07
Still wondering if I will ever be normal
www.beautipage.com/sonomaspa
Terri in Cali

Postby chicoscience » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:42 pm

I don't know about the weather specifically... but I'm definitely sensitive to temperatures, indoors and outdoors. I'm constantly fluctuating between hot and cold. Hot tends to make me very uncomfortable and agitated, but cold is worse, making my muscles very tense and aggravating any pain.

I'm constantly wearing tons of layers in order to be able to deal with any temp.

The worst is when I end up with a kind of rapid cycling body temp, when I ping pong from hot to cold, over and over again, getting sweaty, shivering, tense, etc.

.cs
chicoscience

Postby Janice » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:26 pm

I am in the exact situation as c.s. I go from hot to cold and vice versa all day long. When my dh is here it drives him crazy. All winter long I did the same thing. Air on, air off and sometimes within a matter of minutes. I'll turn the air off and within a few minutes I'm so hot I have to turn the air on again.

I don't understand it but the only option I have is to keep adjusting the air.

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby chicoscience » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:43 pm

I have several sweaters and sweatshirts that I'll rotate through wearing... but I always have one with me. My den is pretty warm because of all the computers in the small room and it's on the top floor. So if I'm there, I'm usually comfortable. Anywhere else, I'll have a sweater and a fleece blanket to bundle up with if I get cold. Then I just keep shucking or adding layers as needed.

My wife likes it cold.. and she loves to have the windows open for fresh air. Fortunately, she buys me nice sweaters and blankets to make up for trying to freeze me. :wink:

The NS I saw most recently explained why temperature is such an issue... At least for temperature sensation. He explained that touch sensory nerves enter the spinal cord and travel the cord on the side they enter from... Whereas temperature sensory nerves actually cross the cord before ascending. So if you have some abnormality in the middle (hellooooo syrinx), they end up affected. So often temperature goes sooner than touch or pain sensation.

The first neurologist I saw at the ER also explained that there's a tract that handles autonomic (regulating your body) functions... and that it can also be easily compressed resulting in trouble regulating your temperature. I wish I had the diagram she drew for me, I'd scan it in.... but I've since lost it.

Long story short, we're lame when it comes to temperature. Sweaters and blankets. Sweaters and blankets...

Cheers,

.cs
chicoscience

Re: weather playing a role on more pain?

Postby yellowtulips62 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:19 pm

As for myself, any change in the pressure affects me. I always know that it is going to rain. The pressure starts to build up the back right side of my head and takes over my whole head and the rest of my day or when the rain starts to let up. I watch the weather hoping for a beautiful day every night. It just so happens that we are going to have 80 % chance of rain tomorrow. It's no surprise to me.... I've had a bad headache since 2 AM this morning. :(
The Joy of the Lord is My Strength.

Chiari Malformation 1 4-5 mm
Diagnosed 4-11-98
yellowtulips62

Postby Icequeen32 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:01 pm

Extreme temps bother me, hot or cold. Most of all RAIN :evil: ... I used to love a good storm, nature is beeeautiful. Now i dread it
sm T10-L1 and another within conus, trigeminal neuralgia, tmj, bulging dics, silent sinus syndrome, fibromyalgia, mild scoliosis, bursitis/tendonitis and impingement syndrome, sleep apnea/hypopnia
Icequeen32

Postby tlserenity » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:25 pm

Icequeen - I am right with you! i used to couldn't wait for a good thunder and lightening storm - now i dread them.

And my pain is a better weather predictor than the weathermen here in texas!
Terry Lynne
*I am not my pain. I am not my past. I am that which has emerged.*
tlserenity

Next

Return to Polls