I don't get it: can anyone explain?

Questions, answers and discussion relating to insurance and Social Security.

Moderator: pmaxwell

I don't get it: can anyone explain?

Postby marymac » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:14 pm

Hi Ho All:

Called an attorney, as I've managed to re-earn 20 credits (the lifetime I worked from 14 to 34 doesn't count because I went back to work* in 2006 after caring for and burying my parents) and Social Security told them I had 18 credits, and I've earned 2 more as of June 30th. Social Security said those two credits won't count until next year, after I've filed and paid taxes. Asked if I could do that early, no. Asked the attorney about hearings, etc. and "no" was all I got. SM didn't happen at work: I don't get it. The worse I get, the harder they make it. Had 2 denials in 2008 and 2009 so am starting again with an attorney, but jeesh: how do other people get disability without first getting their ducks in a row? Not everyone gets disabled at work, duh. What am I missing? (Besides my mind?)

*I would never have gone back to work had I known this.
Marymac
Central disc herniations C5-6 and C6-7, extensive syringohydromyelia cavity throughout the cervical & thoracic cord (large syrinx from C6 inferiorly.)

"Every day is a gift: Thats why it's called the Present"
marymac

Re: I don't get it: can anyone explain?

Postby razzle » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:53 am

How long must I work to be insured?

To get SSDI benefits based on your own work record, you need a certain number of Social Security credits. To earn a credit, you must make a certain amount of money. That amount changes each year. For example, in 2012, a credit is added to your account for each $1130 you earn, up to a maximum of four credits per year.

The number of work credits you need to qualify for SSDI depends on your age when you become disabled. The number of credits you need increases with age. For example:
• if you are age 31 to 42 when you become disabled, you need 20 credits
•if you are age 62 or older when you become disabled, you need 40 credits
• for other ages, see How Many Credits You Need on the SSA site.

In most cases, you must earn at least 20 of the credits in the 10 years immediately before you became disabled. There are special rules for younger disabled workers and the blind.

To get family benefits as the spouse or child of an insured family member, you do not have to earn any credits. However, the insured family member (your spouse, ex-spouse, or parent) must have enough credits.
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby razzle » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:00 pm

call these advocates and see what they say ...http://apply.ssdisabilityapplication.com/aboutus.html
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby gunflint » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:06 pm

It's a typical government program that by design is geared towards keeping you on it and discourages anyone from improvement. I'm sure that it will come as little consolation to you but I'm sure that many of us have now learned a lesson that you unfortunately are paying for.
gunflint

Postby marymac » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:26 am

Thanks Rox and Gunflint, sincerely appreciate it. But, I'm still stupid: so many basics I just don't get: got working papers at 14 and worked solid til 34; no breaks. Earned all the credits I needed for a lifetime, or so I thought. Had 2 babies, took care of and buried parents, then went back to work when one child was in highschool and 1 in college in 2006. Diagnosed in 2008. I don't have enough years to re-earn all those credits: how is a disabled person supposed to earn credits? This is driving me crazy. Have worked just enough to earn the credits the last couple years: have 20 as of June 30th, but can't go on. Just turned 60. Called attorney, they got SS on the line and they said I have to wait, file taxes, then apply for SS. Sounds like I won't get disability no matter what I do because I don't have enough credits. Am I stupid, crazy, or just thick? I don't get it. I just don't get it. How could the lifetime I worked and paid taxes not count? Wait much longer and I'll be too tired AND stupid to even file. Sorry I'm being a crybaby, I have no one else to talk to. DH just screams and I can't do that today. Thanks again and for any more anyone can add. Maybe I'll get it eventually. DUH me.
Marymac
Central disc herniations C5-6 and C6-7, extensive syringohydromyelia cavity throughout the cervical & thoracic cord (large syrinx from C6 inferiorly.)

marymac

Postby JeffinMI77 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:59 pm

Hang in there. Hopefully your attorney will help. My Aunt hardly worked a day in her life and got it right around 60 for a bad hip. You at least have something on the book. I'm now 34 and have worked since 16....My age is killing me but in already in too much pain to work. Plus the type of work I do is a no no for SM. I met with an attorney on Friday to start to appeal process. You will most likely have a bit of a wait anyway so waiting till the first of the year to file is just around the corner. I know it seems so far.
syrinx x2 T7-T8 to T9, and T11-T12 to T12-L1...also bulging disc at T4-T5, T6-T7, and T8-T9.
JeffinMI77

Postby gunflint » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:48 am

What are working papers?
gunflint

Postby marymac » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:22 am

Hi Ho Gunflint:

Working papers are for when you live in a state where the minimum working age is 16, ie. New York. If you want to work prior to 16, you apply for working papers and can work in limited jobs: like a school, library, family business type thing. Otherwise, it would be illegal for them to hire a 13 or 14 year old.
Marymac

marymac

Return to Disability Insurance Issues