Do I get a lawyer?

Questions, answers and discussion relating to insurance and Social Security.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Do I get a lawyer?

Postby KarenAnn » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:46 am

So my boss had purchased disability insurance through his son quite a few years ago and even though his son no longer sells insurance he suggested when I filed my claim back in January that I should put June 2011 down as my start date for disability for reduced hours because I dropped to 20 hrs a week at that point. Then in December I replaced myself, was an office manager for a water treatment company, and have been working between 5-10 hrs a week since. I listed my Mayo doctor on my original Employee Statement and then my Mayo records were finally requested in May. I was told all that they requested to begin with was the info from my pcp's office. I had only been going to him for 2 months at that point because I was looking for a pcp who would listen to me. So all North Western Mutual had for 4 months was 2 months worth of records and then they informed me in May they were requesting more of my records. I was told that Mayo must've been 'overlooked' on the initial run through of my claim. WOW. Now they have over a years worth of records and this syrinx was found after they requested the rest of my records. I scanned and forwarded the results of my Tspine MRI to her but have a feeling it won't get looked at for months. Is it time to give up 20%(?) and get a lawyer? I need the money for sure. I have a 14 yr old son that relies on me and it's not my boyfriends job to take care of him. Just really hate giving up such a large chunk of money to a lawyer when I really need every penny to get caught up on bills and to be able to breathe again.
T3-T11 syrinx-Symptomatic since age 5-Found @ age 35
12 bulging discs with C4/5,T6/7, & L4/5 causing the most compression
CSF secretions throughout abdomen

http://www.thoughts.com/KarenAnn
KarenAnn

Re: Do I get a lawyer?

Postby gunflint » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:01 pm

Long term disability insurance save my financial life. I could be wrong but are you figuring the 20% lawyer fees based on workers comp battles? I first contacted a Workers Comp attorney when I was layed of due to my disability. That was before my SM diagnosis. The attorney was very helpful and directed me to several options available that I never new about. If you haven't contacted a top Workers Comp Attorney I suggest you do so. Most good attorneys offer a free consult. Good luck.
gunflint

Postby KarenAnn » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:21 pm

It's not workmens comp. It's short and long term disability my employer purchased through North Western Mutual. And yeah I was figuring it would be about 20% to hire an attorney to get this settled. I've been reading up and it makes sense they would know how to deal with these insurancce companies. My nerves are so shot with everything going on at this point I'm just thinking it might be nice to pay someone else to deal with this one aspect of my life.

KarenAnn

Postby razzle » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:41 am

you can always try ALLSUP .Great company
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby texassyrinx2 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:18 pm

http://lindanee.wordpress.com/lindas-co ... -services/

Check out this service. Linda has really helped me with my disability claim.
texassyrinx2

Postby JeffinMI77 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:08 pm

Go with a lawyer. It's worth it as it will reduce stress on you. Pay a little money or have no money? ALLSUP seems like an ok company but you can't have any stipulations. I was told I had a good case and most likely they would take my case, but at the end of the hour long conversation she found out that I have student loans so they won't help. My student loans are not in default and they cannot come after me for money. They were even willing to send something for me to give to allsup to prove this. They still wouldn't help.
syrinx x2 T7-T8 to T9, and T11-T12 to T12-L1...also bulging disc at T4-T5, T6-T7, and T8-T9.
JeffinMI77

Postby KarenAnn » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:14 pm

Sorry it's been so long since my last reply but lifes been tough, fingers hurt, and I think I've lost my brain. Anyways, thanks for all the great suggestions. I ended up sending in my appeal to NWM without a lawyer because I couldn't get any to respond. Maybe because I'm in ND? Who knows. Anyways it's sent off, I confirmed they received it, and now I sit and wait. Oh the waiting...

KarenAnn

Return to Disability Insurance Issues