those with Medicare

Questions, answers and discussion relating to insurance and Social Security.

Moderator: pmaxwell

those with Medicare

Postby razzle » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:26 am

what drug program do you have and do you like it
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Re: those with Medicare

Postby karenb » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:18 pm

Hi Razzle,

I am Health-Care PoA for my mother & father, so I've been dealing with Medicare Part D since it came out. Now that they are both in a nursing home, I have spoken at length with the nurse/admin who is responsible for Medicare Part D for all Medicaid patients.

There are several considerations when selecting a plan:
1. Does it cover all my meds?
2. How much will it cost me for my current meds? (That is, what is my total payment for coverage & medications?)
3. How large is the plan formulary? (That is, how many drugs do they cover - what is the likelihood they'll cover a new med should I need it?)
4. What pharmacies can I use? What options do I have for mail-order service?
5. Does the plan provide any coverage for the "donut hole"?

Overall experience (mine & the nursing home's) is that the Humana plans and the AARP plans are the best. They each offer 3 levels of coverage (basic if you take few/no meds, enhanced if you take some meds, and "premium" if you require a lot of medication), and they each have a formulary that covers about 98-99% of prescription drugs. The prices vary from year to year (neither company is consistently cheaper than they other), and they also vary based on whether you use mail-order or not.

To compare plan prices, go to the http://www.medicare.gov website
- Select tab for "Health & Drug Plans" (second from the top)
- The heading "Finding Plans" will be displayed - select the first hyperlink ("Compare Drug and Health Plans")
- From there, it has step-by-step instructions for entering your data.

Now for a couple of personal notes:
-> I talked with Mom & Dad's pharmacist, and he told me that Humana tends to reimburse pharmacies at a lower rate. The rates are low enough that he reconsiders each year whether to continue accepting it.
-> I found mail-order to be a real hassle with Humana - there was a lot of paperwork involved, I couldn't call in to refill a prescription, and prescription management was not available via the website. The biggest problem was that they were extremely inflexible in their addressing. Medication could not be sent "in care of" a 3rd party or to a different address - that was a big issue for a friend of mine who had to move in with his daughters for 3 months while recuperating from major surgery. (I have no mail-order experience with AARP.)

This was probably a lot more than you needed to know...

Karen
karenb

Postby razzle » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:45 pm

Karen thanks for the great advice. Humana doesnt carry 3 of my meds . AArp is very costly , so I think I am going with medco medicare and going mail order , I was with medco before and with mail order and I know they have my drugs and since they are all maintence meds this would be the way to go. have signed the dotted line yet . want to check all options. Roz thank you so much

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby karenb » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:45 pm

Roz,

Sounds good. I had Medco for a couple of years at work, and was very pleased with them.

Unfortunately, with Medicare Part D, every situation is different, and the landscape changes every year.

When I've gone though all the steps on my parents' behalf, it really made me feel sympathy for those seniors who don't have anyone to help them through the process.

Karen
karenb

Postby razzle » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:34 am

went and had a meeting with a gal from SHIP seniors help group to talk about Part D . she said AARP was my best choice . I dont think so . very very expensive. I will ce calling medco today . R

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby powerlineman » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:21 am

I just keep what they give me and everything has worked well so far....
SM only (C2-T1, T10-T12)-Cervical Post Operative Radiculopathy-Degenerative Disc Disease-Anxiety-Depression-Chronic Fatigue-Osteoarthritis-Bulging Discs (T5-T7)-Sarcoidosis-Spina Bifida
powerlineman

Postby razzle » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:20 am

they dont give you a drug program you have to get your own.

I finally went with Humana medicare advantage

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby powerlineman » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:23 pm

They had me put on Cigna when I first got my insurance and I've kept it ever since. So I dont know anything about it. Most of my pills (180 Percocets are $2.50) and they pay well on my visits so I dont change anything every year. Wished I could help more.
SM only (C2-T1, T10-T12)-Cervical Post Operative Radiculopathy-Degenerative Disc Disease-Anxiety-Depression-Chronic Fatigue-Osteoarthritis-Bulging Discs (T5-T7)-Sarcoidosis-Spina Bifida
powerlineman

Postby razzle » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:40 am

you must be on Cobra thru your work. and still using Cigna

are you still working or on w/c

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Return to Disability Insurance Issues