Aspen collar and traction device

Questions and information about accessibility, equipment and related issues.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Aspen collar and traction device

Postby hipmummyk » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:13 pm

Does anyone know where to get an Aspen collar? I checked out their website, but it doesn't tell you where you can find them locally and apparently you need to be measured for them. The docs at TCI told me that I need one and wrote it on a prescription. Does insurance pay for this sort of thing?

Also, I need the same info for over-the-door traction devices. Dr.Chen showed me some expensive ones on a website (Pronex or something like that), but he said the over-the-door ones work too and are much less expensive.

Do you just walk into one of those medical supply places to get these?

Katie
CM1/Classical vs Hypermobilty Type EDS/many messed up discs in my back/no surgery for any of this...yet
hipmummyk

medical

Postby razzle51 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:24 am

Medical supply places have those things or they can probably order them . and I would think insurance covers both . depending on your insurance . read your handbook .
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Postby hipmummyk » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:25 am

Thanks Razzle! :)
CM1/Classical vs Hypermobilty Type EDS/many messed up discs in my back/no surgery for any of this...yet
hipmummyk

Postby hipmummyk » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:17 am

Thanks Keesha!

My concern with the Pronex device was that it has latex in it and I have a latex allergy...I don't want to add fuel to the fire, LOL. Dr.Chen told me you can find the Pronex ones on eBay for around $250.

I guess I will just start calling around to medical supply places to find out about the Aspen Collar and the traction device.

Katie :)
hipmummyk

Postby CSFChallenged » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:44 pm

Katie,
Do you have a PCP or local NL or NS that you like? I took my TCI scripts to my PCP and he sent me to PT{I also had to do PT for core strengthening for TCI} and the PT dept ordered the Pronex(Covered by anthem and medicare for me). My neurosurgeon fitted me for my Aspen collar before I flew to TCI. Many NS offices have aspen collars because of any fusion surgeries they might do. My insurance paid for the collar. You do have to be careful with the medical supply places as they have several types of traction devices. In my case, they tried to substitute products that TCI told me they did not want me to use because the traction was too strong and not as easily controlled. I also have a latex allergy too and so far pronex is OK. It might just be that the contact is not as close as with latex tape or that my allergy is mild, I don't know. You can also use a thin pillowcase over the pronex and avoid contact with the latex without affecting the traction. Anybody get/use the CTO vest/collar yet?
CSFChallenged
CSFChallenged

Postby hipmummyk » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:54 pm

Hi there!

I have ordered my aspen collar from a medical supply store. They asked why it had to be that particular collar and showed me what they had, and I said "I'll show you why when you see them on the Aspen website". So, they called Aspen and had them fax the measuring guide and they measured me and ordered it.

My insurance won't cover it because I haven't met my $350 deductible for the year, so I am paying out of pocket.

I also got the overdoor traction device that Dr.Chen recommended....I just don't know what weight I am supposed to use and no one there has replied to my emails yet- argh!

I hope my collar comes in soon!

Katie
hipmummyk

Return to Equipment/Accessibility