Wheelchair Car Topper

Questions and information about accessibility, equipment and related issues.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Wheelchair Car Topper

Postby hjwats » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:42 pm

I have installed a " Chair Topper " by Braun which has made it much easier to go places by myself in my car. I have some photos but I have never posted photos on the site so I am not sure I can. This is a device that permanantly mounts on your car and draws the chair up and stores it in a housing that looks like a big covered luggage rack. ( I use hand controls to drive the car ) With a toggle switch you simply lower the folded chair down outside the car near the post that separates the seats of the car where it is easily available to the driver of the car. Then all I have to do is unfold the chair, put the cushion on, lock the wheels and transfer to the chair after the transfer mechanism is raised back on top of the car. This is by far the best system I have found for handling a wheelchair in a vehicle and is far less expensive than the elaborate systems I have seen that involve vans with driver seats that turn and lower for access to a wheelchair which it seems to me requires another person to bring the chair around for the person with a handicap to get in. You don't need a special vehicle to use this. It is quicker and cheaper than the ramp equipped vans which allow access to the driver seat inside the vehicle. Since I have not seen this mentioned anywhere on this site I thought I would share this with you.
hjwats :)
hjwats

Wheelchair Car Topper

Postby hjwats » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:19 pm

Thanks. If there is any interest I will try it. You can go to the Braun web site and they have a picture.
hjwats

Postby Janice » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:10 pm

This looks like a very handy tool. I sent you a PM.

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby Janice » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:51 am

The model picture provided on the website wasn't very helpful. It didn't show a whole lot and left me with the question of "would my chair work with this topper" also?

I was thinking of calling the manufacturer at some point but right now I can't afford it so I didn't bother.

I hope you find answers because, like you, I think it would be a great idea and would definitely keep my dh from having to lift this heavy monstrosity.

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Re: Wheelchair Car Topper

Postby hjwats » Mon May 19, 2008 1:35 pm

The wheelchair Car Topper requires a folding chair for obvious reasons. The chair lies flat on a support inside a metal housing that is pretty well sealed from the weather. I have two chairs and it can be used with both of them. I cannot say that it would handle any folding chair. You would have to check with the Braun Company.
hjwats

Postby terrylifts » Wed May 21, 2008 2:36 am

Hai,

Thanks for giving me such a nice information that I dont know.
terrylifts

Postby hjwats » Fri May 23, 2008 2:40 pm

I should have said it can be used with either of the two chairs I have. It of course handles only one chair at a time. But it has worked great for me.
hjwats

Return to Equipment/Accessibility