Harrington rods and Syringo..

Questions and information about accessibility, equipment and related issues.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Harrington rods and Syringo..

Postby sparks42 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:24 pm

Would having spinal fuson - harrington rods - pose any sort of problem if I also have SM?
sparks42

SM and Harrington Rods

Postby Kbudde » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:12 pm

I too have SM and Harrington rods (Rods placed back in 1987). The biggest issue I am having with them is not being able to see how far down my syrinx goes because the rods are in the way of my MRI's.

I have a shunt in my head for hydrocephalus and now my neurosurgeon is reccomending a sub-arachnoid shunt in my spine. The problem being that the shunt has to be placed above the rods.

Before I hop onto another operating table, I am seeing other neurosurgeons for second and third opinions. I'd LOVE to hear from others that may have this or similar issues.
Kbudde

Postby sparks42 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:42 pm

Before I had the spinal fusion, they mentioned they found a syrinx and rods could get in the way....but they were like "oh well......anyways.....lets give u surgery"

Now I have some frustrating symptoms from the SM including scary headaches. So I want to get an mri to check on the syrinx...it's been 3 years since my last.....which was before the surgery

Rods could get in the way eh? Interesting...
sparks42

Question

Postby razzle51 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:03 am

what are harrington rods -
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Postby sparks42 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:39 am

Harrington rods are the rods they use for spinal fusion - straightening out a crooked spine.
sparks42

Rods

Postby razzle51 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:06 pm

Oh ok thanks
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Postby loriann262000 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:56 am

Razzle,

Harrington Rods are a specific type of spinal instrumentation that was used in the past (in the U.S., they were used quite heavily in the 1960s - 1980s with scoliosis fusions). Several subsequent newer styles of instrumentation have been developed since then (with different names, such Isola rods with pedicle screws, etc. ) which were designed to try to avoid the known problems and symptoms that Harrington Rods can cause.

Sparks42,

If you find out any more about your rods, what they are made of, if they are actually Harrington Rods, and whether or not they interfere with your MRIs, I'd be really interested to hear it, since it's really frustrating to me that my stainless steel Harrington Rods blur my MRIs so that the docs can't tell how far down my spine my syrinx goes.

Thanks to all here,

loriann
loriann262000

Re: Harrington rods and Syringo..

Postby taichi » Sat May 14, 2011 8:11 am

This may have been answered by now. I just now had MRI's of my lower spine and I have the old Harrington rod and they had a machine that would filter out the rods so they could see the syrinx. Diagnoising my syrinx extending all the way down my spine.

Barbara
taichi

Re: Harrington rods and Syringo..

Postby Kbudde » Sat May 14, 2011 2:44 pm

Do you know the name of the machine? I'd like to share it with my doctor (UofM) next time I have an appointment?
Kbudde

Return to Equipment/Accessibility