Protective Wheelchair Seat Cover

Questions and information about accessibility, equipment and related issues.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Protective Wheelchair Seat Cover

Postby hjwats » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:19 pm

I bought a waterproof fabric covered " pad " with ties on each corner that I could fasten over my ROHO cushion on my wheelchair but cannot find one on the internet and can't recall where I got it. I also found an about 18x18 inch waterproof pad that I put grommets in each corner and used shoelaces to tie it over the cushion. I already know about and have the ROHO cover on the cushion that the rubber cushion fit into so that is not what I want. I also dont want one that is thick and designed to store water. I simply want one that will keep an " accident " from leaking into the ROHO cushion and its protective cover.
I had an " accident " and we simply untied the cover, washed it, dried it and tied it back on. Didn't have to do anything to the ROHO cushion or its cover because nothing came through the protective cover. I' m amazed that someone in the wheelchair business doesn't offer such a product. I did an Internet search and did find some covers wih an absorbent layer to soak up liquid but that isn't needed, makes the cover thicker and probably will be harder to use for someone like me who has to slide on and off the chair because of low leg strength. Anything from about 17x17 to 20x20 inches or so would work. I want the fabric layer on the protective cover as sometimes I have to slide on with a bare bottom after a bath for example. I also don't want plastic because I don't think it wouild facilitate sliding and would not stand up as well with daily use. I would prefer a smooth fabric layer on top with a vinyl/plastic layer on the bottom and a tie string on each corner or I could put my own tie strings on as I have a kit to install grommets. I use paper underwear and part of the time have to slide on the chair with just the underwear on or slide with shorts on over the underwear. I bought one like this but can't remember where I got it. I also found an 18x18 inch protective cover with smooth fabric on top and a waterproof layer on the bottom, which I modified with the grommets I mentioned (little brass rings with a hole in the center) but we can't recall where we got that either. It makes life a lot easier when you have an unplanned " event ".
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Harry Watson
hjwats

Re: Protective Wheelchair Seat Cover

Postby hjwats » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:00 pm

I do appreciate your reply to my post. I have contacted Invacare and one of their distributors and found that the first item is actually the support for the wheelchair seat which screws or bolts onto the wheelchair rails and forms a floor that su;pports the wheelchair seat. The second item would not work either.
What I am looking for is a waterproof fabric with ties on the corners that I can lay on the wheelchair cushion and tie to the wheelchair frame so that it can be removed in case there is diarrhea or urine that escapes and gets on the seat. Even if I have only the cover itself, I could put grommets in the corners to serve as secure holes in which to install ties to the same end: namely to make it easy to remove,clean,dry and tie back on without having to dissemble the wheelchair seat and cover which in many cases is a hard job, and not to be undelicate about it, you are unlikely to ever get the smell out of the cushion. I have contacted Sumrise Medical and they don't have such a product. I can't believe no one makes such a protective cover. But I can't find such a product as yet. As an aside, It sounds like a business opportunity for someone who can sew at home and offer the product on the Internet.
Harry Watson
hjwats

Postby pmaxwell » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:24 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Americare-Absorbe ... seat+cover
This is a protective pad that sells for 10.99. It doesn't have the ties but it is washable

I also found this one which is 79.00 and it says it is easy on easy off, washes well. https://liquaguard.com/products/26-inco ... guard.html
Together We Can...
pmaxwell

Postby hjwats » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:15 pm

Sorry, I should have answered as a reply but I didn't see the place to reply until reviewing after I sent it. Thanks again as I think one of these will work for me. The second item you listed would not be suitable because it is designed to absorb liquid and is too big and cumbersome. I'm the one that suggested this forum and it looks like I'm the one who got the most out of it.
For the benefit of those who may be interested, I cannot walk or stand. If I soil on the chair I have to slide off, toilet,and bathe while my lovely helper removes the soiled protective cover. Then I can slide my butt back on the clean chair so I can sit on the toilet to get dressed. Then we can move me to my sitting chair and replace the protective cover and we are good to go. Best if I have a clean protective cover to use while we wash the dirty one. The key to this is that I must be able to use the wheelchair to do these operations. It would be a big job to try to clean the ROHO air cushion and its cover which would meanwhile make the wheelchair unusable. Thanks again.
Harry Watson
hjwats

Return to Equipment/Accessibility