Walker Advice/Suggestions?

Questions and information about accessibility, equipment and related issues.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Walker Advice/Suggestions?

Postby Mama_Darwin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:29 am

i currently use a quad cane most days. i have very good strength, but my balance leaves something to be desired, and sometimes my feet seem to go in different directions than i want them to go. i have decreased sensitivity/numbness in my left hand and lower left arm, so that when i use my cane with my strong hand, i'm left unable to carry stuff. Plus, i have now fallen twice even using my cane, when my ataxia sent me leaning toward my weak side. My physical therapist recommended a rolling walker/rollator, and my neurologist wrote a prescription, so i assumed that my excellent insurance would cover what i needed. Ha!

Anyhow, i am currently shopping for an all-terrain rollator to suit my active lifestyle and limited budget. i work in clients' homes as well as in nursing homes, and i volunteer Fridays in a local hospital, where i have to do a lot of walking, but where sharp turns are often necessary.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Idiopathic SM (baby syrinx in the C1-C2 neighborhood, just 2-3mm x 1cm). No CM.
I'm fumby and stumbly. Gabapentin (Neurontin) is my best friend.

http://madsack.wordpress.com/
Mama_Darwin

Re: Walker Advice/Suggestions?

Postby pmaxwell » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:05 am

Just type cheap walkers in google search and you'll get lots of websites. You might also ask at the nursing home to see if they have a vender who sells used equipment or an organization that provides equipment. Some do it free of charge or charge a small fee. A roller with a basket would definitely help with the balance issues and give you a place to store packages. Some have a seat so you can rest when needed.
Together We Can...
pmaxwell

Postby Janice » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:55 pm

For used walkers, you could try Craigslist.com in your area. I purchased a new one w/the basket & seat for $89 at Walgreen's, on-line w/free shipping.

I hope you find something suitable. Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby JeffinMI77 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:57 pm

You are suppose to use a cane on your strong side. Sounds like you are in need of a walker. I would try nursing homes, craigslist, classifieds. I am a Patient Care Technician ( well at least for now :( ) and the retirement community i work in has several devices in storage. Some families don't know what to do with things after their loved ones pass.
syrinx x2 T7-T8 to T9, and T11-T12 to T12-L1...also bulging disc at T4-T5, T6-T7, and T8-T9.
JeffinMI77

Postby karenb » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:44 am

A couple of notes regarding rollators - for best results with rough terrain, you need a model with 8-inch rubber wheels. The 4-inch wheels tend to get stuck more easily (even the rubber ones), and the hard plastic wheels give you a rougher ride (jostle your shoulders a lot more) and have a tendency to "stick" when they encounter small obstacles (such as cracks in the sidewalk).

Your local nursing home is a great place to try - our local Good Samaritan Society has a garage sale once a year, and they always have a lot of used walkers available.

Karen

P.S. You may want to consider also getting a basic walker for home use - it can be a great help at those times when your balance feels bad (e.g. first thing in the morning). It also avoids tracking in dirt and grime which can accumulate on a rollator.
karenb

Return to Equipment/Accessibility