Self Catheterization

Questions and information about accessibility, equipment and related issues.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Self Catheterization

Postby hjwats » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:45 am

I have some plastic ratcheting clips which have opposing transverse raised portions that are on opposite sides of the plastic catheter tube when you pass the catheter tube end through the clip/closure. You operate it with your thumb to close the catheter tube by squeezing it between the raised portions as the ratchet clicks and holds it closed while the user is insertint the catheter into the urinary opening. After insertion of the catheter you simply pop the ratchet open and the urine is free to flow. This closure stays on the catheter and you simply slide it off when you want to use a new catheter. I use them over and over without a problem.
My problem is that I can't find a source to buy these useful clips/closures anywhere. I got the ones I have from a complicated plastic tubing harness that is used for what is called CAPD. This means " Continuous Ambulatory Periteoneal Dialysis ". I happened to have it as part of a case I worked on. It had numerous clear soft plastic tubes whit these clipas at different places so ths flow of fluid could be routed to the proper place.
Can anyone help me find these plastic tube closing clips?
hjwats

Re: Self Catheterization

Postby Janice » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:58 pm

Check out the links below to see if you can find what you need. I'm not sure what you're looking for but I do hope you're able to find it in one of these supply stores. I used the words "self catheterization accessories" in the search so if you don't find it in the two links below, try using the words to look in other sites that come up.

http://www.dmesupplygroup.com/brd4a3052xz.html
http://www.exmed.net/dept.asp?dept_id=536
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby hjwats » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:30 pm

Janice wrote:Check out the links below to see if you can find what you need. I'm not sure what you're looking for but I do hope you're able to find it in one of these supply stores. I used the words "self catheterization accessories" in the search so if you don't find it in the two links below, try using the words to look in other sites that come up.

http://www.dmesupplygroup.com/brd4a3052xz.html
http://www.exmed.net/dept.asp?dept_id=536

I THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS HELP. I have been looking everywhere for these simple catheter clips without success. I knew they were out there and sure enough they are listed in the Express Medical web site you provided. These clips are SO helpful for self-catheterization because you can operate them with one hand and control when the flow starts and stops. Great! Thanks again.
Harry
hjwats

Postby razzle » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:17 am

just curious as what this has to do with Chiari or Syringomyelia.R
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby hjwats » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:31 pm

razzle wrote:just curious as what this has to do with Chiari or Syringomyelia.R

I'm not sure exactly what your problem is, but I will try to help you understand. First, I understand this site is to allow those who have a common interest in these conditions to communicate with each other in order to share information that might be helpful to other sufferers who post or simply log on to get information that may be of interest.
Second, it so happens that some of us are perhaps a bit more unfortunate that others in that our condition ( SM in my case ) results in a lack of control of excretory functions. In fact, for me my bathroom difficulties are far worse than just being confined to a wheelchair because I cannot walk or stand.
Admittedly, other medical conditions can play a part in these problems but the loss of nerve function in my lower body deprives me of the normal controls that people have that allow them the feedback to decide when and how often they need to go. Yes, unfortunately some of us are incontinent or because of pain medication become incontinent or partially incontinent. I have found that I can control urination by means of self-catheterization which makes my life materially better. I had tried and tried to find a source of those little ratcheting clips that allow me to control the flow when inserting and removing my catheters which I need to do in the bathroom, at my chair at home, in my car and in restrooms when I am out. I was so happy when someone on this site gave me ( and anyone else who may have had a similar need ) a web-site that offers the exact thing I need which I have been unable to find for six months.
I'm sorry to make this so long, but I think it is important that our members can feel free to post whatever their needs may be without worrying about whether their post might be somehow considered inappropriate.
hjwats

Postby karenb » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:57 pm

Hi Harry,

I'm curious as to what the little items are that you're talking about... I can't even picture them. My urologist had me start self-cathing with a bed-pan, and I've managed to start performing the procedure in a toilet, but it's a real mess, to the extent that I desperately try to avoid going to the bathroom at all when I'm not in a private setting (because of the mess...).

For those wondering what this has to do with SM - in my case, the position of my syrinx blocks the signals to my bladder. The rest of my urinary tract muscles work, but my bladder muscle does not respond to any signals my brain sends it. As a result, I've been using my abdominal muscles to empty my bladder, with the result that I've been retaining urine (leading to frequent urinary tract infections) and have also been forcing urine back up toward my kidneys (leading to kidney infections).

FYI, there was a really informative presentation about this at the 2008 National Conference. It really helped me understand what was going on with my body...

Karen
karenb

Postby razzle » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:20 am

I am sorry about my post didnt mean any harm. Its just my NS has never mentioned anything like that to me. I have found out thru this board of many other things associated with sm/cm which I dont have and my NS guess dont discuss with me if I dont have it. Good to know thanks for the info. R
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby hjwats » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:26 pm

I guess I helped you understand and I'm sure you meant no harm. There must be many tribulations that our sufferers go through that most of us don't know or understand. But now I have followed the lead of the person who so kindly gave me the web sites I was looking for and I struck gold. One of them had the exact clips I was looking for for $.50 each. Such a little for so much when you need just the right thing to do the job. I have also passed on by private mail some information for another post above that will be able to use the same information. As for me, I can self-cath in my chair without even getting up to get in the wheelchair and go into the bathroom. I am also continually surprised at the sometimes utter lack of practical knowledge our doc's s display, I guess because they don't actually have to live with some of these things. Unless you live with them, I guess you can't really understand. I live with it. I'll be happy to pass on what I have learned. Self-cath sounded so hard; it turned out to be so easy. See you in Austin.
Harry
hjwats

Postby karenb » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:41 pm

hjwats wrote:As for me, I can self-cath in my chair without even getting up to get in the wheelchair and go into the bathroom.

You men just get all the breaks!!! :lol:

Karen
karenb

Return to Equipment/Accessibility