sm and feet

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

sm and feet

Postby kbaesel » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:20 am

My 9 year old has SM w/o CM was diagnosed September 8th 2008. Syrix goes from T2 to L2. About a year ago she started having really bad headaches. They did scans and nothing has changed. As of right now we have the headaches under control. In November she sprained ankle. We went from an wrap to an althatic lace-up brace 3 weeks later. 2 weeks later she was in a walking boot. It was not healing. She had a number of x-rays and they were are clean. We went and saw a foot dr. In March because she was still having a lot of pain and still had a hump on he ankle. After meeting with the foot Dr. We found out that she has no arch to her feet. And when she walks her left ankle, falls in (hints why she has a bump). I am trying to find a peds ortho in my area now. The foot dr. Said on a scale of 1 to 10 of severity of the flat foot and such my daughter is an 8. She told me that she as not seen a case this bad in a peds in a long time.

Does anyones else's child have flat feet. I am trying to figure out if there is a connection or not. I have done new research and have found a few things that might suggest that weaker joints on the left side, connections to the left ankle falling in when she walks. Any feed back would help.
kbaesel

Re: sm and feet

Postby lttutrow » Fri May 04, 2012 10:33 pm

Both of my children were diagnosed with flat feet and have to use orthotics. My son's orthotics are high rise, just not visible above his shoe, because his feet roll in. When his feet grew quickly, he wasn't adequately supported by them, and developed tendonitis that took a few weeks to resolve and had to wear a brace. My kids have classic type ehlers danlos syndrome. They are starting to see a link between those with connective tissue disorders and Chiari.
lttutrow

Return to Pediatrics