Trampoline

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Trampoline

Postby DeAnne » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:21 pm

I would like to ask for some input. My 12 year old son has SM. We go through times of him not being able to stand up. When times are good, he is like any other 12 year old. He plays sledge hockey, ice skates, swims and likes to ride bikes. Over the years, he's had to stop attending 4D movies (chair vibration is painful), and riding rollercoasters.

He would like a trampoline for bouncing. He doesn't try unsafe tricks, and his OT has him bouncing every other week. Do any SM kids or adults use a trampoline for a relaxing bounce?
DeAnne

Re: Trampoline

Postby lttutrow » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:57 am

It seems each neurosurgeon has their own opinion about use of trampolines. Each person's case is so unique as well. It's probably a good idea to run it by your neurosurgeon to get their recommendation. For my kids, we were given the go ahead right after their surgeries for everything except contact sports like football or wrestling. However, they no longer enjoy most roller coasters, bumper cars, or trampolines because those activities make their symptoms much worse.
lttutrow

Postby SamuelsMom » Wed May 02, 2012 12:30 pm

My son has sm only. We were advised against trampolines.
SamuelsMom

Postby lcolangelo » Sat May 05, 2012 12:37 pm

We were also advised against trampolines-- but my 13 year old seemed to disagree (go figure). When she was out with a friend she tried one anyway-- she suffered whiplash type injuries and was in severe pain for weeks--- I wouldnt chance it..
lcolangelo

Return to Pediatrics