Location of Syrinx and MRI w or w/out contrast

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Location of Syrinx and MRI w or w/out contrast

Postby mommyof4 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:35 pm

My son was recently diagnosed with Chiari 1 with an extensive lumbar syrinx. I have been told that his syrinx is in an unusual place. He is 3 1/2 and is not experiencing symptoms at this time. I have received 4 opinions thus far and all doctor's agree that decompression surgery needs to be done before he has any nerve damage. We are going to do the surgery even though we are very hesitant. I am concerned that the syrinx may be caused by something other than the Chiari because of it's location. We have had two MRI's and neither one was done with contrast. Is it typical to do the MRI's without contrast and does anyone here know anything about having the syrinx so low in the spinal cord? [/b] I appreciate any feedback.
mommyof4

Re: Location of Syrinx and MRI w or w/out contrast

Postby memom » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:00 pm

Hi,

I believe that the standard is to have CINE MRI w/ flow study for CM and SM. I hope that 4 opinions you received are from NS who specialize in SM and CM. Who will be doing the surgery? Keep us posted on your progress. Praying for comfort and guidance.

Lauri
Mother of a beautiful 9 year old girl with CM 1.5, SM T 5-8 and Hypermobility. Decompressed 7/09.
memom

Return to Pediatrics