ADHD and Chiari- related?

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

ADHD and Chiari- related?

Postby Lipper5 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:47 pm

Just had a question- does anyone think that ADHD and Chiari have something to do with each other?
Thanks for any and all info!

Krista- Mom of 2 boys DX with Chiari 1 and one that has central autonomic dysfunction w/syringomyelia (has shunt placed)
Lipper5

Re: ADHD and Chiari- related?

Postby chrisw » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:08 am

This might be better as a poll, since you should have a little correlation rather than one person saying yes, I do.

Also, I think Chiari is more diagnosed in females (at least if this board is indicative of the average) and females tend to be underrepresenated in ADHD statistics due to the norm for them to not have the hyperactivity associated with ADHD, more the daydreaming and depression. Because of this, even while the experts* think* that the same percentage of females have ADHD as males, much less are diagnosed.

Of course, I have been diagnosed with ADHD but more likely i have been misdiagnosed and i have a hearing processing disorder. I do believe their may be a stronger correlation with people with Chiari/SM and other neurological deficiencies like the various processing disorders that tend to be misdiagnosed as ADHD.

A doctor, even a nerologist, is not capable of properly judging if a person has a processing disorder or ADHD. What most doctors do is throw pills at a kid and if they improve, good job. It wasn't until I was able to investigate my own symptoms and have myself tested that I discovered I had been misdiagnosed for decades. This is why their is such a controversy surrounding ADHD and the serious drugs they are giving the kids. If you give any kid speed their grades are going to improve!!! My friends (and parents!!!) used to beg me for pills to help them study!
SM, Chiari 0 (Rosner), Diagnosed 8/08 after car accident 6/08, Vitamin D deficent
chrisw

Location: Columbia, SC and lots of time near Blacksburg and Smith Mountain Lake in VA

Re: ADHD and Chiari- related?

Postby lttutrow » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:24 am

Have you seen the Conquer Chiari videos? There's one by Dr. Frim on Cognitive issues, http://hosted.mediasite.com/mediasite/C ... cda3b4cb9c .
lttutrow

Return to Pediatrics