Cannot Swallow

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Cannot Swallow

Postby memom » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:06 pm

MaryEmma has lost her ability to swallow. This is day three. She did regain her ability to swallow for about 3 hours yesterday, then it went away. She has a cold and lots of pressure in her head. Ped. Doc put her on steriod spray to help relieve pressure. She can drink small sips, suck on frozen fruit bars and sip on broth. She is having terrible headaches, leg pain and arm pain. Also, she stumpped her toe and this started a "pain event" that ended with her foot shaking uncontrollably for about 15 seconds. It was like she was having a seizure in her foot. She is in and out of wheelchair.

Anyone experienced anything like this? We are waiting to hear when NL can see us. This is crazy!!!!

Lauri
Mother of a beautiful 9 year old girl with CM 1.5, SM T 5-8 and Hypermobility. Decompressed 7/09.
memom

Re: Cannot Swallow

Postby lttutrow » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:18 pm

I'm sooo sorry to hear this Lauri!!! I'll be praying for you both! Sorry that I can't help with experience with this, but just wanted to say that I'm thinking of and praying for you guys.
lttutrow

Re: Cannot Swallow

Postby memom » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:49 pm

Thanks Lori!

Finally, today MaryEmma can swallow! She is feeling better but she is not thinking very clearly. Her words are getting mixed up and she cannot remember what happened this week without help. She is "very foggy". We see NS & NL again next week - NS wants to do a spinal tap. I am not happy about this but I do not know what else to do. I had sooooo hoped we could manage her symptoms without further testing etc... Not going to happen that way I guess.

Please know I think of you and your family often. I hope your kids are having a good school year. Keep us posted!

Lauri
Mother of a beautiful 9 year old girl with CM 1.5, SM T 5-8 and Hypermobility. Decompressed 7/09.
memom

Return to Pediatrics