Exotropia/Convergence Insufficiency and ACM1?

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Exotropia/Convergence Insufficiency and ACM1?

Postby TiredMom » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:02 am

Preston saw a neuro-opthalmalogist last week and she stated that he has mild ptosis and is having issues with convergence insufficiency/exotropia. She indicated this could be related to the ACM1, the pineal cyst or to the genetic duplication he carries - only time will tell.

Anyone out there with ACM1 (and not the other stuff) have issues with either ptosis or convergence? I tried to look this up and didn't find anything specific.
Mom of 9 yo boy with Chiari I, Pineal Cyst, Microdup. Synd. 15q, Mito. Disorder, Ctrll. Sleep Apnea/Sleep Mvmt. Disorder, Asperger's, Hypotonia, Aphasia, GAD, OCD, occipital headaches, etc. Visit at http://caringbridge.org/visit/prestonbyrne
TiredMom

Re: Exotropia/Convergence Insufficiency and ACM1?

Postby EHF » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:48 pm

I would think the ptosis would be related to the mito disorder I see listed in your signature. Although I think ACM1 can cause vision issues, ptosis is usually related to muscular weakness. I don't have much knowledge of pineal cysts (although I have a child who has one...found incidentally) but I don't think it would cause any of the vision issues. Hope this helps - Hang in there!

Liz
EHF

Postby medicpt » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:54 pm

My dtr has CM1 just diagnosed in the last 6 weeks so I am not sure I will be very helpful...she has Cranial nerve IX involvement, we think which for her involves her voice/vocal chords. I have read various research articles talking about cranial nerve involvement for IX and X, but have not seen much on the higher crainial nerves. Eye movements are controlled by cranial nerves III, IV, and VI. However, these nerves are very close in proximity and it may be possible that the CM is causing this as it seems to be capable of producing all sorts of odd symptoms. Facial movements are also incidentally controlled by crainial nerves.

All the best to you TiredMOM!!

wendi2
medicpt

Postby tnajk » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:25 pm

Interesting. My son was diagnosed with Convergence Insufficiency about a yr ago but the eye doctor didn't say it could be related to his ACM? Makes me wonder if there are more kids (and adults) out there that have it and don't even realize it. Are you going to do the weekly therapy treatments to try and correct it?
tnajk

Postby jswack » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:08 am

I have Chiari and I have both of those. My new optometrist said "you just don't do convergence". Jeanne in Madison
jswack

Return to Pediatrics