Trip to Disney

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Trip to Disney

Postby sydney'smom » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:41 am

My 10 year old DD was dx last November with Chiari. For now she has little to no symptoms with some blockage. My question is, we are planning a tripto Disney World in August (this will be her first time) and I am wondering how I know which rides she can go on? We believe a trip to the local amusement park last year (before we knew about Chiari) and a trip on a REALLY fast roller coaster is what brought her Chiari to light. Any suggestion would be appreciated. I hate that she can't just be a kid and go on whatever she wants, but I want to make sure we don't bring on even more Chairi symptoms.
9 yr old daughter with 19mm CM and 1mm Syrinx.
See Dr. Di at Cleveland Clinic and am scheduling a 2nd opinion with Dr. Frim in Chicago.
sydney'smom

Re: Trip to Disney

Postby lcolangelo » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:52 pm

The great thing about Disney is that she will be able to ride most rides. She would just need to stay away from very jerky rollar coasters (space mountain- for example) I think there is one at MGM--- Aerosmith? that would also not be good. I think most of the other rides would probobly be ok-- we went there last summer and space mountain was about the only one we needed to avoid. The concern is to not have severe jarring-- you find those mostly on the older "wooden" style coasters. Hope this helps and hope you all have a wonderful time!
LIsa
lcolangelo

Re: Trip to Disney

Postby sydney'smom » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:54 pm

Lisa:

Thank you for the reply. That is what I had kinda figured but we have not been to Disney in MANY years and I just want to make sure we are careful. We are really looking forward to our trip and luckily neither my husband or son like roller coasters so she won't have to be jealous of them being able to ride them!!!

Julie
9 yr old daughter with 19mm CM and 1mm Syrinx.
See Dr. Di at Cleveland Clinic and am scheduling a 2nd opinion with Dr. Frim in Chicago.
sydney'smom

Return to Pediatrics