Need advice about change in incision-should we see the NS?

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Need advice about change in incision-should we see the NS?

Postby EHF » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:18 pm

This is in relation to my 5 year old who had a decompression a little over a month ago. This past weekend he said the incision site was "popping" and hurting him. He also had some blurry/double vision/dizziness last week. On Sunday morning, a few stitches on the bottom popped out (they are dissolvable but they popped out instead which I think is okay). He's still been complaining about the popping feeling at the incision site. Today I noticed that the bottom of the scar has changed. It used to be a straight line and now its curved and angled to one side - its not at all straight anymore. He's acting okay and isn't complaining about the vision issues at all anymore (although he's really crabby). He was supposed to see the NS tomorrow for follow up with the vision issues and I was going to cancel the appt. since he seems better. Then I saw how the scar line had changed and wondered if that meant anything (especially since he has the popping sensation). Would you have it checked out or is it normal for the scar line to change?
EHF

Re: Need advice about change in incision-should we see the NS?

Postby Catherine » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:32 pm

We are not at your stage yet. Catherine had her surgery last Tuesday and will have stitches removed tomorrow. But I would keep the apointment. If you are concerned at all I would just go and make sure he is okay.

Good luck,
Crystal
Catherine

Return to Pediatrics