Arlene's Birthday Now 71

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Arlene's Birthday Now 71

Postby Christy & Arlene » Mon May 21, 2007 10:25 am

Hey everyone,
It's been a long time since I've looked in. Arlene is now in her 25th year with Syringomelia. Dr. Oro says she's the second longest living patient with this, that he's had. "You Go Girl".
For those of you who don't know us, I'm Christy, her friend. My husband and I look after Arlene, as all of her family is gone. She has no children. We do meals on feet, run the errands, take her to the hair dresser every week, along with her yard work, house chores and you name it.
About Arlene: Her parayalis started in the right arm, now includes the right leg and is moving over into the left leg and left arm. We encourage her to keep moving. She's always tired, but her moto is: PERSERVERE
She's had all the surgerys her tiny body can take, so we keep her comfortable and give her something to smile about. Right now it's the beautiful flower garden my husband (Jerry), has put in.
We moved Arlene from her Denver home to a nice home directly behind us, a year ago. It's much easier to keep an eye on her. She can get into all kinds of predicaments. The last being, she was getting something out of the back seat of her car, (Yes she still drives), and she slipped and wedged herself on the floor of the back seat and couldn't get out. Trapped! We both had a good laugh. My commet when I found her, "What the Hell are you doing there!" She was there almost an hour. We laugh often and hard, the best medicine. Arlene's driving consists of 2 blocks to the beauty shop when I must work. She's very independent. We've been together for going on 15 years now. And will be together all the way to the end. We are very lucky to have her. She has taught us SO much about life. Christy
Christy & Arlene
Arlene is well, but slowly going down hill. Just had her 71st Birthday. Going on 25 years with Syringomyelia. Her moto: PERSEVERE
Christy & Arlene

Birthday

Postby razzle51 » Mon May 21, 2007 11:55 am

Remarkable story , but she is not the only one . I know of a dear Lady that has now had this 25plus years too. Hope her birthday was great . :)
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Postby mac » Mon May 21, 2007 9:20 pm

Arlene, thanks so much for giving us this wonderful update! I loved reading your story so much and think you should write a book about Arlene! Remember Tuesdays with Maury? anyway...that is a great tale and I think Arlene is so blessed to have such wonderful friends as you and Jerry. God bless you richly and often, and tell Arlene we said Happy Birthday!

hugs
mac
mac

Postby cash71 » Tue May 22, 2007 12:54 pm

Christy,

Thanks so much for sharing Arlene's story. She sounds like a remarkable lady to have such a great attitude with all she is dealing with. And you must also be a remarkable person to have given so much. I hope Arlene had a wonderful birthday.

Caroline
Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle (Plato)

Syrinx C3-T9, CM zero, OTC, cranial settling, dysautonomia/POTS, and ?EDS

see my blog for more info: http://www.chiariandsyringomyeliaincanada.blogspot.com/
cash71

Postby birdlover3 » Wed May 23, 2007 11:01 am

Thanks for sharing. Arlene is blessed to have friends like you & Jerry & it sounds like she blesses each of you at the same time.

Please tell Arlene HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
birdlover3

Postby Snoozie » Wed May 23, 2007 12:38 pm

Christy, you and your husband are so special to share your life with Arlene. I must have missed the beginning of this story, how did Arlene come into your life?

Tell her I said Happy Birthday and I will remember to persevere. ...Sue
Snoozie

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders