Can vertebral hemangiomas cause SM?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Can vertebral hemangiomas cause SM?

Postby C7SM45 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:02 pm

Hi,
Still looking for the "source" of my SM. Tried to find info on this on the web, but no luck correlating the two. So the question is can vertebral hemangiomas cause SM? Thanks again to all who participate on the message board. I have learned so much.
Cheryl
C7SM45

Re: Can vertebral hemangiomas cause SM?

Postby Janice » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:08 pm

A hemangioma is a tumor. Tumors are listed as causes of SM. In my case, my hemangioma burst through the vertebrae, causing a fracture therefore causing SM. As far as causes in general, again, tumors are listed as a cause.

BTW, I have no other known causes for SM, other than the 2 vertebral hemangiomas.

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby NO DR » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:34 am

I brought this up month's ago. I have 3 Hemangioma's. One at T2 T7 T11. My syrinx is at T2-T4.
I thought maybe the syrinx caused the Hemangioma's?????? My biggest one is at T11!!! Which is
the furthest away from the syrinx, possible clue??? Where is yours located?? But the Dr's I saw
told me all these "incidental findings cause no pain stiffness or symptoms whatsoever!!" I sound
like a broken record!!!! Anyone have any good info on this??? Please chime in!!!
NO DR

Postby phyrehawke » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:29 pm

I just thought I'd chime in because my situation is backwards. My neurosurgeon thinks that my SM started with a mild spinal cord injury in my late teens (horseback riding accident), was worstened by a car accident in my early 20's, then was made much worse by another accident 2.5 yrs ago (early 30's).
2 years ago we had an excellent MRI done which clearly shows my syrinx from C2-T1 but NO hemangioma. In April I had another MRI done and my syrinx has actually healed...now runs from C5-T1, but now I also have a hemangioma at the base of the syrinx, and this is NEW. However, they do say this is an "atypical" hemangioma, whatever that means. I have tended to think of my hemangioma as part of a healing process (inflammation=increased blood flow=more blood vessels=hemangioma?) that went wrong somewhere.

I definitely believe there is a syrinx/hemangioma link, but I'm reserved on the cause/effect situation until more research is done. From the attitude I got at my last MRI in April, I suspect there will be a research study done soon on hemangioma and syringomyelia, although it might remain "unofficial". I think this really NEEDS to be done, because the articles and the doctors all seem to blow off spinal hemangiomas as no big deal, and Janice is (unfortunately) the example of what can happen.

What I have found interesting in my reading is that hemangiomas in general are extremely common. One article I read said that 1 in 10 people will have at least one at some point in their lives. But that was stats on all hemangioma, not just spinal ones. Articles on spinal hemangiomas said that most people who have them will never even have symptoms, except maybe a little back pain from it. Very rarely do they get into the bone. It's only been very recently that Radiologists are starting to see hemangioma/syrinx connections, and that research seems to be just beginning really.
Rozanne
"A path of awakening would never suggest that we should be a passive and unwitting spectator of our own repeated disasters, but should turn the power of our attention to untangle the web of complexity." Christina Feldman
phyrehawke

Postby Janice » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:30 pm

I know for a fact that hemangiomas cause pain. I also know that the hemangioma appeared before the syrinx.

I also know for a fact that the hemangioma at L4 caused the fracture on my vertebrae. It's easy for a doctor to say that these things are incidental and don't cause any symptoms. However, I'm living proof that the hemangioma caused both pain and the fracture.

When my doctors found the hemangioma at T10, they actually told me it's nothing to worry about. These were the same doctors that I saw the entire time during my hospital stay after surgery to fix the fracture caused by a hemangioma. I couldn't believe I was told that the new one wouldn't cause any problems. I spoke up and told them that based on what I just went through, I can't believe that they would say the new one won't cause problems.

The reality is that they just don't know. They can speculate, but the person living with these findings and experiencing problems directly at the site, knows different.

I have a choice right now, based on my experience with the hemangioma at L4, to believe the doctor or my own experience. I choose to believe me!! I don't sit around waiting for the hemangioma at T10 to cause problems, but I am aware of the fact that it can. Right now, it's only about 8mm. The one at L4 was 1.8cm before it burst but had been causing pain (severe back spasms) months before then.

You know your body. You know if you're experiencing pain and other symptoms from the hemangioma, syrinx or any other anamoly found in your body. Only you know for sure if these findings are causing you problems.

Take care,

P.S. I have also had two hemangiomas in the armpit area that had to be surgically removed because they both caused pain and both grew very large. These growths were two years apart in the same area.
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby NO DR » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:48 am

This was a good topic also. Anyone have any new info on this subject??? I haven't had an Mri
since 2006??? Don't know how things are anymore, just using inversion table, somewhat healthy
diet, I do take cal/mag 400/200 everyday GNC brand. Vicoprofen for pain. I know pain is slightly
worse than say 5 years ago, stiffness is definately worse. Don't know if anything has gotten bigger
syrinx or hemangioma's??????
NO DR

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders