Excercise???

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Excercise???

Postby leopardland » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:46 pm

Hi, I haven't posted for ages. I have CM and SM , very large syrinx from c1-c7 and 14x9 in width from Tom to bottom. My neurosurgeon says it's quite alarming but can't explain why I don't have worse symptoms,,,lucky.I recently started going to the gym, I do 45 min cardiovascular and some weight machines with minimal weight n I limit my movements . Does anyone know if going is ok. I feel good going n am trying to lose weight as I feel I'm carrying too much weight for my achy joints (hoping weight loss will decrease pain. ( I have tendinitis in hip joints) any thoughts on excercise would be appreciated, thanks:)
leopardland

Re: Excercise???

Postby pmaxwell » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:36 pm

I fully believe exercise is important and that added weight can have an adverse effect. So good for you in making an effort to change your life for the better. I have always heard that f you do something bad for your condition you will know it right away. So if the exercise if making you feel better then you are doing good. It is important to take it slow and build. If you do something and the symptoms get worse or new ones appear, stop! That is why it is better to only try one new thing at a time so you will know the culprit. Water aerobics are often recommended. Good luck and just listen to your body.
Together We Can...
pmaxwell

Postby princesk8 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:45 pm

Everyone is different, my syrinx is C5-T10. Neurologist has encourgaed me to excercise. He's okay with me doing cardio, yoga, swimming etc. As far as lifting weights I can only do a very small amount as I don't weigh much and DR told me that for ME lifting weights over 5lbs is not something I should be doing, he wasn't even crazy about 5lbs told me to do less with more reps.. Best thing would be to ask your doctor what is okay and not okay for you.
Chiari 1 7 mm & Syrinx C5-T10. Scoliosis(22 degree L & 20 degree T curve). 2.4 cm Arachnoid Cyst at lower left occipital lobe. Bulging Disk C5-C6, C6-C7 & L5-S1. Early facet arthrosis L2-L4. Mild inferior foraminal narrowing L4-S1
princesk8

Postby reedy » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:23 pm

Exercise is probably the best thing you can do. I wish I were more disciplined and did more.
But do be careful about weights. Do cadio, keep moving, keep flexible, but avoid straining and funny angles. That's what my doc said anyway.
reedy

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders