Out of Country Health Insurance?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Out of Country Health Insurance?

Postby LucyLocket » Thu May 14, 2015 11:13 am

New to the forum and need some help.

My now 18 year old son wants to travel to the U.S., and needs to purchase insurance to cover medical emergencies while he's away for two weeks.

When he was 13 months old, an MRI (for an unrelated issue) determined that he had a Chiari Type 1, but he has never experienced any symptoms, and the neurosurgeon said that he probably never will. He has occasional headaches (minor), and dizzyness (which his GP attributes to his low blood pressure, which in turn is explained by his high participation in sports), but none of the other possible sypmtoms at this point (I know that symptoms may materialize in the late teens/early 20's, so that we're not out of the woods yet).

My question though, is whether or not a person with a Chiari will be eligible for insurance at all. WIll this pre-existing condition exclude him from coverage? We're in Canada, and I'm not sure that things are the same in the UK, but here, if you ever apply for insurance of any kind, one of the questions is, "Have you ever been denied insurance", so I don't want to try to apply for coverage and then be denied. I was hoping that the experiences of people on this forum could provide an answer instead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
LucyLocket

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders