Lumbar Puncture

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Lumbar Puncture

Postby pseudotumor » Tue May 13, 2014 12:42 am

So, I pose a question to the community: How long is back pain supposed to persist after a lumbar puncture?

I recently had csf pressure monitoring where they did an lp but put a catheter in and left it for 48 hours. The catheter's now been out for a week and my spine is still excruciating. (Like can hardly walk). I've had a fair number of lp's before (in the 30's?) but never an lp cath so I don't know if this is normal. I also have disc problems and scoliosis, so back pain isn't new for me, but this seems pretty extreme and I didn't have it this bad pre-lp. I've left a bunch of messages but my docs won't call me back, so I'm asking if anyone has experience with this sort of thing to see if it's normal.
pseudotumor

Re: Lumbar Puncture

Postby syrinx48 » Tue May 13, 2014 5:14 am

When the pain hold on say about for 5 to 7 days you should call your doctor. Perhaps where the lp was is still leaking csf. It can easily be fixed with a blood patch

Annemarie
syrinx48

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders