hot flashes and pressure at base of skull

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

hot flashes and pressure at base of skull

Postby kgray » Sat May 10, 2014 4:18 pm

Hello everyone. It has been quite a while since I posted her, though I often read when I need to know that I am not crazy! But does anyone have there symptoms that come and go? I have noticed that my symptoms almost "flare" every 3 months or so to where I almost can't function normally. And it has been about 3 months and I have new symptoms that I am not sure if they are related, but the worst one is SEVERE hot flashes and pressure at the base of my skull. I have been having the hot flashes throughout the day as many as 10 each day. And I'm looking around at everyone else wondering...do u feel what I feel?? And of course the answer is no. At first I thought I was having panic attacks or something, which I refused to believe. But now I can be in the middle of doing my job (a nurse) and I'm ready to start taking off my clothes. Then as fast as it came, it leaves. Then another hour later here we go again. And sleeping at night has been awful. I have the fan right on me and I wake up hot and throwing off the covers and when I feel of my skin to me its hot even though I have this fan blowing 3 feet in front of me. So after 2 weeks of this I have decided that it has to be the syrinx. Then there is now the pressure at the base of my skull which is VERY NEW and I don't know what to make of it. I have the symptoms of bending my neck and getting the sensations that go down my back, some leg weakness and total body weakness. When I had my MRI over a year ago I had spots that showed up on my brain MRI and my cervical MRI did show the syrinx had gotten a little wider though it is only at c6-7 I think (haven't looked at it in a while, its to depressing). So I had the spinal tap done to rule out MS and thank God that it did not show any MS. But with all of that being said it still does not take away from the fact that I have leg weakness, this pressure at the back of my head which is new, have started having headaches again, sweats, but the pain itself is under control with lyrica 300mg daily. I am just wondering if the hot flashes and pressure that if feel may be from the syrinx. I am going to have my MRI's repeated in a couple of weeks to see if there have been any changes.
kgray

Re: hot flashes and pressure at base of skull

Postby Debbieducati » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:14 pm

Yes, SM can cause body temp problems. I have read this and herd about on this site. I have had them for 8 years now. I also have very bad night sweats. I know for a fact it's not mentepause. I also have Gastroparesis which can cause night sweats and temp problem. I have not found anything that works yet, but I do know when I am having a flare up the temp problems get worse. It's all about keeping your symptoms at bay as best you can. Other things can cause this too, I would see your doctor. GP first. Good luck to you
Love to all
Debbieducati
Love to all
Debbieducati
PTSM C5, C6
Debbieducati

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders