undecided,need some input

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

undecided,need some input

Postby donny » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:25 pm

Its been awhile since ive posted but I dont quite know what to do.My wife had decompression in 06 and tethered cord release in 09, The sugeries went well and her symtoms were totally relieved, unfortunatly The headaches have returned and the lower back is hurting and she has a neurognic bladder. The urologist says the neurogenic bladder is caused from a problem in the upper spine or brain. Shes had the mri's of her entire spine and a brain mri with and without contrast but nobody can find the problem. there been no changes in the brain or spine. botox is giving some relief and nerve stimulation is giving some relief with her bladder problems. The thing is her Drs can't figure out why she can even walk. Im thinking of going to tci for a diagnosis or at least see if they can figure it out. Her NS is conservative and didnt diagnose the tethered cord because the conus is in the "normal position". Any advise will be appreciated
Take care
Don
donny

Re: undecided,need some input

Postby syrinx48 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:40 am

Hi Donny,

Sorry to read your wife is having all this difficulties, again!

There are a lot of neurologist ans neurosurgeons who are very conservative as it comes to dethetering of the spinal cord. I know TCI is less conservative and that it would be a good thing to ask them in a consultation. Perhaps you are able to send a copy of the MRI images prior to a consultation. Send Dr. Bolognese an email and tell him and ask what to do.

Annemarie
syrinx48

Postby donny » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:18 pm

Thanks annemarie,
I think that might be the only way to get answers and treatment, here in this state the Drs. are just to conservative, The Drs she has are very good though.
Thanks again.
Take care
Don
donny

Postby birdlover3 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:45 am

Sorry that your wife has worsened. I’ve read that some people improve after their surgery, but a few years later they start to worsen again. Some have to have surgery again. Others are treated for the symptoms.

It would be good if you could take your wife to a doctor or facility like TCI or The Mayfield Clinic. There’s a list with Chiari doctors on it, but I’ve heard it needs to be updated.

Good luck. I’ll be praying for each of you. She’s blessed to have an understanding spouse. Please keep us posted.
birdlover3

Postby donny » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:40 pm

Well Heidi has been in PT for a little while (a week or two) and the PT noticed her hip is out of place, something she has ask about in the past with a few Drs, so he will adjust her back/hip and get the hip back in place and we'll see what that does.
Take care
Don
donny

Postby syrinx48 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:18 am

I am glad that it wasn't something 'major' even though it can be very painful! Glad that the PT is working now on and with Heidi. Hope she feels comfortable and that the pain subsides!

Annemarie
syrinx48

Postby birdlover3 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:26 am

Your poor wife. That happened to my husband's hip years ago and he was in a lot of pain. They told him to take OTC pain meds before each treatment, and that helped some. It took months, but they were finally able to help his hip. My prayers will continue.
birdlover3

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders