It's been awhile./ Unexplained weight loss

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

It's been awhile./ Unexplained weight loss

Postby gunflint » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:34 pm

Well I'm back and I've thought about this forum a lot but I have all but ended my participation in "social media" of all forms. I was wondering if anyone has experienced any unexplained weight loss on this crazy ride? It seems that without really trying I've lost over 30 pounds since April. I know what else it could be but I was hoping to hear from some fellow SMers that they too have experienced this. Thanks.
gunflint

Re: It's been awhile./ Unexplained weight loss

Postby syrinx48 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:03 am

I am going through a period of weight loss too! I know, I don't have appetite, so I eat little. I am constantly nauseated. I am also looking for a cause. My folic acid is way too low. No other surprises what blood work is concerned. So I am also curious about the others SM ers!

Annemarie
syrinx48

Postby razzle » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:03 am

what meds are u on?
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby gunflint » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:34 am

I was forced into medicare in October. Because of that I have dropped all meds except hydrocodone.
gunflint

Postby Debbieducati » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:10 pm

I have had this problem for over 4 years. I have tried many doctors and tests to find out I have Gastroparesis on top of SM, because of nerve conduction problems none of my GI tract moves normal. So I'm on a very tight diet and liquid food, supplements, this is all to maintain my weight and malnutrition. I see an acupuncture doctor every week to help with blood flow and nausea, digestion, and SM symptoms. It helps a lot. It took awhile to find the right doctor to help with this. So don't give up. I'm not on any medication, not even for pain anymore. Was forced to go off everything because I lost my medical insurance and job. I do want to say it has been very hard, I would say the pain and fatigue every day is hard to deal with but I don't want to miss out on life anymore. It's been a 9 years battle, so I plug along. Just applied for Disability, not sure if it will happen or not, living in California is hard enough with all the crappy laws.

Having SM and digestion problems is hard to diagnosis, the is a test you can have done to see if your nerves are working proper in you GI tract. As we all know how important our CNS is. It controls the movement of you Guts. I would see a gastroentrologist first then your Nuro. Dr.

In the mean time for nutrition, do not eat any processed food, stay away form dairy, Fatty foods, Rich meat, (eat everything as fresh as you can. Make your own smoothies, no dairy, with veggies). This helps a lot with energy.
Good luck to you.
Love to all
Debbieducati
Love to all
Debbieducati
PTSM C5, C6
Debbieducati

Postby gunflint » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:11 pm

I'm not convinced that drinking veggies is going to help with rapid and unexplained weight loss.
gunflint

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders