Information about Amitriptyline

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Information about Amitriptyline

Postby rsinha » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:07 pm

Hi,

For those who are taking Amitriptyline (Elavil), the question is for you. Did you have to bump up the doze periodically to get the relief from the nerve pain? I started 6 years ago on this med at 25 mg. I got a very good relief at that doze. Then 3 years ago I started feeling the pain again so bumped up to 50 mg, again the doze gave me long lasting relief. Now for the past few days I'm feeling the pain again and wonder if should ask the doctor to increase the doze once again. Also once the doze is increased did any one of you try to decrease it after a few months and continued to be pain free?

I'm curious to hear your experiences regarding this drug.

Thanks, rsinha
Rachna (Decompressed in 1997, Cranioplasty in 2002)
rsinha

Re: Information about Amitriptyline

Postby pmaxwell » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:08 am

Rsinha,

I'm not a doctor but I think when you take a medication for a long period of time your body get use to it which is why you might have to increase the amount. Rather than continuing to increase, why not ask your doctor about trying something different. Give your body time to clear and if the new med doesn't work as well maybe when you go back the old dose will work again.

best wishes,

Patricia
Together We Can...
pmaxwell

Postby rsinha » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:47 pm

Thanks Petricia,
I bumped it up from 50 mg to 125 and initially that doze helped but this week I feel the pain back again. For the past 6 years I was on Amitriptyline and it was working great on my phead and arm pain/dizziness. I was leading close to normal life. But now ....
Anyway,
Can some folks list the types of pain that have helped them I have heard that narcotics don't work well on our pain. I"m already taking gabapentine and that's not helping either. What's your experience in switching to another med?

Thanks Rachna
Rachna (Decompressed in 1997, Cranioplasty in 2002)
rsinha

Postby tennesseewalker » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:19 pm

I have found the most wonderful relief from my spinal cord stimulator. The leads are snaked up into my C-spine. I've had it for more than 3 years and I still can't stop singing its praises. Wouldn't you know it's the treatment of last resort so you have to have tried everything else unsuccessfully before you get a crack at the SCS. None of the meds I tried had any effect. Well, maybe 10%. Just enough to take the edge off.

I hope you're able to increase your dosage and get relief again.
Mary
Genetic CM/SM (me, my son, my twin sister and both of her daughters), RSD of right arm.
tennesseewalker

Postby TabulaRasa » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:46 am

I've taken 25mg of Amitryptiline for 6 years or so for insomnia and I've had to bump up the dosage periodically when my sleep gets disturbed. But I've never felt pain relief or even headache relief from it.
Diagnosed with CM 1mm herniation June 12th, 2012
TabulaRasa

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders