drop attacks, stubbling running into everything

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

drop attacks, stubbling running into everything

Postby taichi » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:40 am

I am having drop attacks about every 3-4 months, running into everything, legs are weak. I have problems writing and using my hands. My NL is not alarmed and seems to be part of the process. I have been lucky not to have fractured anything so far. He told me sm ages your body 10 to 15 years. Well if this is so I would be about 82 and all this would normal. I am having double vision and blurred Since my muscles are affected in my chest, circulation is a large problem.

I hope this support system comes back to life, it has helped me more than you could realize (.user friendly).

thank you
barbara
taichi

Re: drop attacks, stubbling running into everything

Postby pmaxwell » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:55 am

Barbara,

Since SM does affect the body like your doctor said, you have to be extra diligent to prevent damage. With the attacks happening so regular, do you notice a trigger. Extra stress at the time, having to doing something more physical or weather changes? Maybe if you could pinpoint the cause you could control the attacks. Exercise, a good diet and sleep are important. Be very careful during that time as falling could cause more damage. I wish I had the answers.

Patricia
Together We Can...
pmaxwell

Postby taichi » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:53 am

Thank you Patricia for replying.
Barbara
taichi

Postby birdlover3 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:08 am

I never know when I'm going to fall, or almost fall. I stay as relaxed as possible at all times, and I do try to eat better, take my vitamins, and exercise like Barbara pointed out. Weather normally makes almost all of my symptoms worse, but I have not found it to be the cause of my falls. Also, my symptoms are worse when I have swelling in my body, so I try to limit my salt intake.

I think my almost falls, where I catch myself before I hit the floor, is worse than a complete fall because I jar my body so much trying to prevent the fall. I've never had to have stitches or broken a bone, but I've had some hard knots and bruises on my head and other body parts.

My mother does not have Chiari or a syrinx, but she falls because of her age. She's had broken bones and stitches thanks to her falls. Her doctor ordered balance therapy for her. A local physical therapist came to her home several times a week & helped teach her how to balance her body better. Her health insurance paid for 100% of the therapy. She said it help, but she still falls.

Good luck & God bless.
birdlover3

Postby Debbieducati » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:45 pm

I have never herd this before, that SM ages you 1o to 15 years. I have had this for 9 years and have been paralysis of my legs. I drop stuff all the time. I stumble all the time. My gait is different every day. The spinal cord is so hard for doctors to study that they still don't know all the affects of SM. Take every day different. Work on how you feel when you wake up. Plan your weeks. It's takes a lot of structure when you have something they don't know everything about., because everyone is different. Use your best judgement you can every day. This helps me get through. I go with what my body can do that day. Be happy this will mean more to you then anything you have ever tried. The power.
Love to all
Debbieducati
Love to all
Debbieducati
PTSM C5, C6
Debbieducati

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders