Body temp. issues w/out a syrinx

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Body temp. issues w/out a syrinx

Postby TabulaRasa » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:59 am

I've been searching on here for body temperature control issues and it seems like a symptom of a syrinx. But I don't have one. Ever since my Chiari symptoms appeared last year, I had body temp. issues with the drastic weather changes and it would last a couple hours and a shower could take care of it. Now, I have issues all day every day and showers don't help. It's 20 degrees outside and within 2 minutes my whole body is shivering. I get home and I'm on fire. Can anyone help me figure this out?
Diagnosed with CM 1mm herniation June 12th, 2012
TabulaRasa

Re: Body temp. issues w/out a syrinx

Postby pmaxwell » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:55 am

Even without a syrinx your can have pressure on the nerves. For example with a Chiari the flow of CSF can be blocked or limited causing pressure to build in the spine. Think of it like a water hose. If you bend the hose, pressure builds up behind the bend. That pressure can affect the nerves in the spine or even the brain stem. Some people have ICP (their bodies produce more fluid which can also cause pressure on the nerves and brain stem.

Not sure if that could be side effect of any medications but it is always something to check first.

Patricia
Together We Can...
pmaxwell

Postby reedy » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:57 pm

I do have a syrinx, so I'm not sure my comments will help you TablaRasa, the OP, but for some solidarity (if not explanations) I also have body temp issues. I get very cold, and have gotten used to wearing a nice lightweight layer of wool much of the time. I also don't notice my temperature changes very well. I can stay immobile for a long time (like now, messing around on the computer late into the evening) and become absolutely freezing without noticing. Alternatively, once bundled up I can have a roastly toasty elevated body temp and not be bothered.
reedy

Postby Debbieducati » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:29 pm

I have had body temp, issues for 8 years. It's not hormones. It's what is going on with your spinal cord. I have had this off and on for years and had the testing done to figure it out. And it's not metabolic. But no one can pin point the issue. All I know is I deal with what comes. If you look up night sweats it gives you several different reasons. So I pinned my down to my SM and Digestive issues, (gastroparesis). Either I'm too cold or too hot. Sometimes I want to crawl out of my skin because it's so uncomfortable. I have had the night sweats so bad, I wake up stuck to my sheets. Auhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I have found when the weather is colder it is harder to maintain your temp. I wish you luck on this it has been a long battle for me.
Love to all
Debbieducati
Love to all
Debbieducati
PTSM C5, C6
Debbieducati

Postby syrinx48 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:32 am

Hi,
I also do have temperature issues. One period of time I am cold to the bones and can't get warmer, other times I am sweating out, too hot for my liking. It is not my hormones either. I am 55 and long past it.
I am now in a period of night sweats, horrible.

Sometimes a low vit B12 can give you the cold feeling, have you let it ruled that out?

Annemarie
syrinx48

Postby razzle » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:53 am

same here freezing one min and burning up the next .... and night sweats terrible ... thought it was menopaus but I am way past it too... tried many things .. cut back on salt , no hot spicy foods etc etc but still there . I have syrinx T4 - T10 so I suppose that's it... but still trying to see if its something else .... want a dry sleep pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... lol
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders