Constant muscle contraction

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Constant muscle contraction

Postby Debbieducati » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:15 pm

Since June I have had non-stop muscle contractions in my legs. You can see them and they are 24/7. I can feel the electrical pulse then the muscle contracts. My legs are so tired I can't stand for more then 10 minutes before they feel very weak. What to do. Is this a normal for SM.

Love to all
Debbieducati
Love to all
Debbieducati
PTSM C5, C6
Debbieducati

Re: Constant muscle contraction

Postby pmaxwell » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:59 pm

What does your doctor say? It is something that needs to be treated. It could be a number if things. Have they given you muscle relaxers? It could be diet, a symptom of the syrinx or another disorder. They might check for vitamin deficiency too. The longer you try to suffer through the worse it will get and harder to treat.
Together We Can...
pmaxwell

Postby passmass » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:23 am

This sounds like how mine started. I had jerks in my legs and arms. I was put on muscle relaxers and Tizanidine to control the twicthes . I had surgery 6 months later and had a disc fusion (5-6). Disc had ruptured into spinal cord and also caused my syrinx (C5-T2).
EDS, SM C5-T2, CM, DDD, De-Tethered (Jan. 07), Fibromyalgia, Central Sleep Apnea, Central Pain Syndrone
passmass

Postby Graybo » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:13 am

Last edited by Graybo on Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graybo

Postby Debbieducati » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:03 pm

May be I should give a little more history. I also have another chronic problem (Gastroparesis) due to emergency surgery for an H-Pyloric ulcer in 2008. I have seen a handful of doctors for this. They do not know why my intestines don't function properly. So in turn my stomach holds onto food for over four hours and burns all the nutrition out of it before it gets to my small intestine.Then once in the intestines the food runs through too fast. So I only absorb 2% of what I eat. Like running on an 1/8 of a tank of gas every day. Because of this I have lost my job, no medical for over a year. I have tried so may different things. I go to acupuncture every week for my stomach and SM. This keeps the vomiting away and some balance issues. To prevent my migraines and spinal pain I see a chiropractor. I don't have as many ICP problems when I see him. I'm on no pain meds at all. 10 months ago I saw a Nutritionist. The blood and other testing showed I was suffering from malnutrition, she had never seen a case as bad as mine. Started a new diet program, I was improving very slowly with up and downs. They don't want to start magnesium because I'm in the (bathroom) too many times a day. I blend most of all my fruit and veggies in a Nutri-bulit three times daily. I don't eat any processed foods at all. I have spent the last two years more focused on this then my SM. My thoughts are if I improve my nutrition I can reduce some of my SM symptom's. After everything I'm doing my acupuncturist does not think it's diet. I hard to put into words what malnutrition has done to me for 4 years or so, and I do my best to understand the ups and downs.
I have done most of this over the last 1.5 years on my own because of no medical insurance, all out of pocket. Over $600 a month not including food. My husband is retired, (he had to when the economy took a crap), so he took a job that gives medical three months ago to help out. Bless him. We should get insurance any day now. I also just filed for SSD.
I want to thank you for all your imput. If any of you have any more advise. Please let me know. I really am struggling right now. All my SM symptoms have increased. Had my first ICP headache in 5 months. Also a very bad bladder infection lasting over 6 weeks. Twice in 6 months. I go to see the nutritionist on Friday, very expensive, but she is good. She did better testing the my gastroentrologist. Wish me luck. Oh I'm also looking for a new neuro, Dr.

Love to all Debbieducati
Love to all
Debbieducati
PTSM C5, C6
Debbieducati

Postby syrinx48 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:55 pm

In case of gastro intestinale problems, I would say let your B12 checked, and also your vit. D. A low Vit. B12 can give neurological problems, also the fasciculations or spasms.
A lot of people with neurological disorders do have a shortage. So have a lot of people a low vit. D. Also other bloodwork can easy be done to see if there is a shortage from some sort, like calcium or magnesium.

So easy bloodwork with your GP can rule this out. It is easy to cure with Vit B12 injections . And other supplements.

If the B12 is normal, you can ask your GP what to do. Just like Patricia has written

Annemarie
syrinx48

Postby Debbieducati » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:38 pm

I did have all this checked 10 months ago. I do take supplements. I have to put most of them in my smoothies, so I can absorb them. I see the nutritionist on Friday, I will repeat the blood work, to see where I'm at. I did not improve after increasing my B12 and my magnesium in my multi-vit. This was all done by liquid form. Thanks again for the help. Just knowing I'm not alone helps.

Love to all
Debbieducati
Love to all
Debbieducati
PTSM C5, C6
Debbieducati

Postby syrinx48 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:23 pm

Vit.B12 should be injected for your malabsorption problem. If you take it orally and have an absorption problem it won't come where it should come. You have to start bij 2 times a shot for 5weeks, then after that it depends, most of the time for a short period once a week. It is all written in the farmacoceutical compass.

Annemarie
syrinx48

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders