How the arts affect your health

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

How the arts affect your health

Postby pmaxwell » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:02 pm

I was reading an article from the NIH about how the arts affect your health. It says studies have found evidence that singing releases substances that serve as the brain's own natural pain-killers and when we listen to music, levels of molecules important for fighting infection can rise. Scientists are also studying how art therapy can help to ease pain and stress and improve quality of life. and then there's writing. Expressive writing - writing about traumatic, stressful or emotional events - has been shown to have a number of health benefits, from improving symptoms of depression to helping fight infection. So maybe writing about your symptoms on the board could have more benefits that you realize. Remember that the arts are no substitute for medical help but they can still bring health benefits. You don't have to be good at them for them to be good for you.

Patricia
Together We Can...
pmaxwell

Re: How the arts affect your health

Postby syrinx48 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:02 am

One of therapies given in Germany was art. Art by painting or making something useful as silk scarves, painted in your own wanted colours.

I will write about it, but it will take some time.

Annemarie
syrinx48

Re: How the arts affect your health

Postby birdlover3 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:49 pm

First of all, writing about my pain and symptoms ad sharing with people that understand, does help me. Sharing may not lessen my symptoms, but it relaxes and eases my mind because I know I'm not the only person going through this. I know that I'm not alone.

I agree that in trying & finding different outlets to give us enjoyment & pain relief. If the music does not relieve my pain, at least I am more relaxed. Painting a picture increases my pain, but the idea that I painted gives me a large sense of accomplishment. I do know that tensing my body worsens my pain, so in my mind, relaxing by any means should help.
birdlover3

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders