Scoliosis Surgery

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Scoliosis Surgery

Postby SMLady » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:07 am

Hi all! It's been a while since I've been here. HOpe everyone is doing well!

I am at the point where I need to have surgery to correct my scoliosis. My curve is up to 50% now, so I cant put it off any longer.

Has anyone here had spinal fusion? If so, can you give me some insight? I'm 51, so it's not like I'm going in to this as a young person, so I am scared to death!

Thanks for any input!
Proud Mom of One Son
Idiopathic SM T1 - T9, DDD, Scoliosis, Pinched Nerves, Bulging Discs, Spondylosis, Stenosis
----------------------------------------------
The Man who walks with God always gets to his destination.
SMLady

Re: Scoliosis Surgery

Postby taichi » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:36 am

I had scoliosis surgery in the eighties with a harrington rod, The surgery now is not as complicated. I wore a body cast for 11 months. I am not much help since the surgery has been updated quite a bitt. I will be more than happy to answer any questions. My surgery was at Campbell Clinic, Memphis Tn.
bit. My curve was also about 50%. The only problem I had was in my hip where they took a bone graft.
to my knowledge this is not a procedure that is used now.

Barbara
taichi

Postby syrinx48 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:16 pm

I can't give you any advise, only tell you that I will be thinking of you. I hope that the op goes well, and hope for a speedy, uneventful recovery. Listen to your body, don't go too fast and take one day at a time.

Annemarie
syrinx48

Postby SMLady » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:05 am

Thanks. For some reason,I am having difficulty in finding info on what to expect afterward. I do know the doctor said I would be in the hospital for a week - part of that in intensive care - and that it would take two months to recover. But are you in a body cast? Afterward, can you bend? I know this sounds horrible, but I'm really concerned about how I am going to be able to dye my hair. NOT that I do, but you know, just in case. lol. Can you bend after this surger? Are the rods just two long rods on either side of your spine? Or are they separated to allow you to move?

HOpe everyone is having a great day! Has Diane been on lately? I miss her.
SMLady

Postby taichi » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:15 am

The surgery is so more updated . I hesitate to describe. I was in a body cast for 11 months and I do not think you even wear a cast. I did lay flat more than a week.
I will explain more but you need someone who has had recent surgery or discuss it in length with your doctor.
good luck and I will be thinking of you.
barbara'
taichi

Postby drummergrl » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:01 pm

I had my decompression, and then was fused for scoliosis just over a year later.

About the brace/cast: I had to wear a post-op brace, which was low-profile, for 4 months after my surgery. I was not allowed to take it off, even to shower. But the brace is typically only used by very conservative surgeries, which my surgeon was. I'd ask your surgeon if you will need a brace- I'm pretty sure you won't need a cast, I don't think they do that anymore.

About bending: I have a pretty long fusion, from T3 to L4, and I still have some bending. But it's different than normal bending...I bend in a straight line, if that makes sense! There's no curving for me, except for L4 and down. I can still bend over to tie my shoes, pick things up, etc. I typically try to squat instead, though, so as not to wear on the rods.

About the rods: I have two rods that are fused into my spine with bone marrow taken from my hip, and 11 or so screws. I'm 5 years out (approx) and don't really feel them at all.

I'm not sure what other specific questions you have, but I'm going to PM you a document I've made about my own experience...I've sent it to numerous people I've met over the years who are about to undergo a fusion.

Hang in there, you CAN do it!!
CM, SM, Scoliosis
drummergrl

Postby reedy » Thu May 02, 2013 6:29 pm

SMLady wrote:... I'm 51, so it's not like I'm going in to this as a young person, ...

But as my docs keep saying to me, its not like you are old either! (I'm 52) At 51 you've got all kinds of potential for the future.
I have a pal who is 92 who has had a bent spine for about 70 years. You have a lot of possibilities in the future! Get in as good shape as you can before your surgery, take it easy after your surgery until you are ready to start moving - then give it as much umph as you can.
reedy

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders