Can physical and stressful activities aggravate Chiari?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Can physical and stressful activities aggravate Chiari?

Postby rand » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:30 pm

I am in the Canadian Military with CM, and I had decompression surgery in 2010. Unfortunately, I still have symptoms that make my career over, like headaches, vertigo etc, and my last day is in April. I am looking for any info on what can aggravate the symptoms of undiagnosed CM, because it took the military years to diagnose CM. I started having symptoms in 1992, and the doctors thought I had arthritis. But a lot of my symptoms did not add up to arthritis, like the headaches and dizziness, so In 1995, I asked for a MRI to see if I had arthritis. It took me repeatedly asking for a MRI to disprove the diagnosis, and that finally happened in 2009, and I did not have the arthritis they claimed. In January 2010, after a severe reaction to Oxycontin, my symptoms were so severe that I had a MRI of my head, and 10mm CM1 was discovered. It took me 14 years to get the military to listen to my symptoms, they would usually say that I was getting old, that the headaches and dizziness was nothing to worry about. Some of my doctors think that this delay, plus the physical and stressful environment of the military aggravated my symptoms, and that I should get a pension from the military.

Any info would be a GREAT help
rand

Re: Can physical and stressful activities aggravate Chiari?

Postby gunflint » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:19 am

The short answer is yes, physical exertion can cause damage. I had been having several obvious symptoms for a couple of years before I received my diagnosis. I can tell you the exact day that I knew something serious was wrong. October 1st 2010. We were moving into a new house. We were supposed to get some help with it but for the most part I ended up doing the lions share of the physical work. By the end of the day I was walking differently, I was holding my left arm against my hip, and I was stooped over like a 90 yr old man. I haven't walked normally since. It still took another7 months to find the syrinx.

As far as not diagnosing SM or misdiagnosing it almost everyone here has gone through years of misdiagnosis and even accusations of drug seeking before discovering the "real" cause of our problems. I have no idea what the pension requirements are for the Canadian military. I can tell you that in the states a confirmed SM diagnosis is usually considered enough for a determination for social security disability. It's also common for patients that have had a decompression to suffer the symptoms that they had before surgery. Basically once the damage is done there is really no fixing it. The main reason for a decompression is to stop or slow down progression. I hope I was able to help and I wish you well, eh!
gunflint

Re: Can physical and stressful activities aggravate Chiari?

Postby rand » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:44 pm

I hear you gunflint, I can also point to a day when my life changed, 27 Jan 2010. I had just had kidney stone surgery, with a fairly severe reaction to Oxycontin, and I bent over at work and I almost passed out. My symptoms came on so fast that the doctors thought I had a brain tumor, and I had the MRI in a month for the CM diagnosis. My vertigo symptoms got so bad that we had a 5.4 earthquake 200 miles away, and I thought that my vertigo had lasted longer than normal.

What I need is Case Studies, I found one that states that being in the military can aggravate CM, but the more info I get the better.
rand

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders