Oxycontin Yes Or No..UPDATE

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Oxycontin Yes Or No..UPDATE

Postby gunflint » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:16 am

I had a pretty good discussion with my pharmacist yesterday when I was there picking up my Lortab prescription. We were discussing chronic pain and long term pain meds. He said that my area (Northern Minnesota) is the only area that he's ever been where the Doctors prescribe Hydrocodone (Lortab, Vicodin) for long term pain relief. His point was that Hydrocodne was for short term acute pain and that is why it contains acetaminophen or ibuprofen. And the amount of acetaminophen I was ingesting daily should be brought up to my GP. He suggested Oxycontin for two reasons. First of all there is no cutting agents and secondly that Oxycontin is a time released medication so I wouldn't have the several times a day peaks and valleys. And I should be able to cut way back on the number of pills I take daily.

I have been hesitant to change to stronger meds but maybe it's time. I know that over time acetaminophen can damage your liver and I have had liver damage in the past. I also know that I have a pretty good (or bad) tolerance to opioids by now, the dirty little secret of chronic pain meds. I have always compared tolerance or dependence on pain meds to a diabetics dependence on insulin. I was just wondering what SMers thought about changing to Oxycontin. I see my GP in about 3 weeks. Thanks.
Last edited by gunflint on Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunflint

Re: Oxycontin Yes Or No

Postby marymac » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:45 am

Hi Ho Gunflint

Yes, that's what works for me. . . tiny little pills without all the junk in them. . . and easier on the belly too. They have time released, and you can supplement with break-thru hydrocodone. This is the best combination I've found, and it took awhile. Have to go to Pain Management once a month for the Rx, but that's the only downside IMO. Obamacare won't work for me. . . they accept my $$ then won't touch the "pre-existing" for at least a year: what doesn't start or stop in the spine? And of course, the deductible is like $10,000 first. . . some places help you get that at little or no cost. Have SS phonecon today, hope I get help there. Good luck to you: definitely try it. You do not need all that other stuff for your system to process, trust me.
Marymac
Central disc herniations C5-6 and C6-7, extensive syringohydromyelia cavity throughout the cervical & thoracic cord (large syrinx from C6 inferiorly.)

"Every day is a gift: Thats why it's called the Present"
marymac

Postby syrinx48 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:24 pm

I use Oxycontin for breakthrough pain. I get the 10mg. If necessary I may take up to 4 capsules a day. I take one together with a muscle relaxer. I already use clonazepam 3 times a day and sirdalud MR 6 mg one time a day. By breakthrough pain I take 10mg oxycodon and 2mg sitdalud, and lay myself down.
The other painkillers I get is fentanyl plasters and I will be once in 4 month in hospital where I get Ketamine infusions for 5 days. Those infusions helps me a lot. It is also be given for phantom pains. I get more medication as depakine against my spasms.
If you have more questions, please let me know!

Annemarie
syrinx48

Postby June » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:16 am

Gunflint,
I used Oxycontin for several years until I was up to more than 200 mg per day, with little relief. I was using Oxycodone for breakthrough pain, with little result.

Last August, I found a D.O. who gradually titrated me off Oxycontin which had become useless to me, gave me Butran patches and Oxycodone for breakthrough pain--and now it works. Like Annemarie, I also have Ketamine, but I don't get injections. I have a nasal spray to use for breakthrough pain. It works quickly, makes me loopy for about an hour, and takes away the pain for a couple of hours--enough time for the muscles in my back to relax.

Oxycontin worked well for me for a long time, but after awhile I had to start increasing it. It is a narcotic. I think we just have to switch them around, and the more options to switch we have, the better.

Hydrocodone is NOT meant for long-term use. It will damage your liver; your pharmacist is correct. Please at least switch to Oxycodone. But do ask your doc about these other options we have mentioned. And get your liver tested.
June

Postby June » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:22 am

And Gunflint, one more thing: please do not get into the "narcotics" mindset of thinking that a need for pain relief is equal to being a narcotics addict. Look up the difference between "dependence" and "addiction". We SM'ers may be dependent on narcotics to get through the day, but I, for one, do not admit to being a drug addict.
June

Postby wendi » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:17 am

There are many good long term meds out there. I used to use Oxycontin till they messed up due to the abusers. When they put the anti crushing agent in it, it ruined it for me. Whatever it did, it caused me headaches and reduced my pain releif. I would see the whole pill come out in a BM. Gross, sorry. But there it is. It does work for some people tho. I take plane oxycodone and Percocet. There is long lasting morphine and dilaudid too. There is also patches which work well for some and not for others. When you take the long term meds, you usually need a short term for breakthru pain as well. Talk to your Pain mgt Dr.

Wendi
ACM 7.5mm B4 TCS 2.4mm post op
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby gunflint » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:08 am

Thanks guys,
I see the doc in a couple of hours. I don't have a pain mgt doc just a GP and NIH.
gunflint

Re: Oxycontin Yes Or No..UPDATE

Postby gunflint » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:35 pm

Well I switched to Oxycodone on Monday. It was a miserable mistake. The feeling of sedation along with a intense headache for 4 days was enough to get me to email my GP and switch back to Hydrocodone. I guess that some of us are looking for that magic pill that will make us forget about Sm for a while. I'm beginning to think that it doesn't exist.
gunflint

Postby wendi » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:57 pm

Which did you take Oxycontin or Oxycodone? tin is long lastin done is short. tin caused my headaches also. but the med that is in Oxy done or tin percocet, Oxycodone, etc works well for me. What you take is a different drug. If it works for you, the other may not. Morphine might work for you and there are long acting ones. This pain mgt thing is trial and error and getting the right cocktail. It takes time and patience. It sucks.
ACM 7.5mm B4 TCS 2.4mm post op
TC ,TCS @ TCI on 1/3/08,
chronic sacrolitis
wendi

Postby gunflint » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:08 pm

I went with Oxycodone as I read several accounts of patients saying that the recipe change decreased their effectiveness. I can see where Oxycodone could be effective for long tern relief however the slight sedation vs productivity is something I'm not ready for yet. Fishing season starts in 3 weeks.
gunflint

Postby June » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:04 pm

Gunflint, I'm so sorry you had a bad experience. But Wendi is right: pain management is trial and error, and it can take awhile to get the right drug or combination that works for you.

Are you still in trials at NIH? Maybe they can help you. Or you might try what I did: my pain management doctor is a DO--not an MD--and works in a spine clinic which really specializes in headaches.

I don't have Chiari, but I think it is almost as bad as syringomyelia where treatment is concerned. Those of us who have either or both ailments have to search long and hard for help. I hope you are able to find some soon.
June

Postby reedy » Thu May 02, 2013 6:37 pm

gunflint wrote:... Fishing season starts in 3 weeks.
:lol: :lol: :lol: THAT will perk you up!
reedy

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders