Atopic Dermatitis- on side affected by facial nerve pinch

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Atopic Dermatitis- on side affected by facial nerve pinch

Postby Peggy Dupnick » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:41 pm

Anyone else have issues w/ atopic dermatitis. My son has it repeatedly on the same side of his face that I believe is affected by a facial nerve pinch. NS deemed is "facial dysasthesia, probably due to significant syrinx." We are one year post op, and the syrinx is virtually gone. Is it normal to still see so much of an issue w/ facial nerve problems? Or if there is nerve damage it is a permanent thing? He has had three incidents since Jan 1st where something (sinus pressure or virus) has caused him to rub his face raw. He is autistic and doesn't understand what he is doing is making things worse. I mention to his doctor that I don't know what is triggering these events; therefore I cannot prevent or predict them. I was told, "atopic dermatitis can be caused by a number of things." Frustrated by vague, unhelpful, probably truthful answers. Anybody have any suggestions?
Peggy Dupnick

Re: Atopic Dermatitis- on side affected by facial nerve pinch

Postby Graybo » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:22 am

He might be feeling all kind of weird sensations in his face, I have had some strange ones myself. You can get a feeling like it's itching or a spiders web on your face, etc. Have a look at that syringomyelia in dogs video on youtube and you will see the dog scratching over and over. At least they can't accuse dogs of making up the symptoms. There are 2 parts - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qPLDMSPRXA

I have had some big improvement lately and it is due to relaxing the muscles all over my body. It is very difficult to release the tension after so many years and you need to look at some minerals to help with it. Magnesium relaxes muscles and I have been using that for several years with some success but it wasn't until I added selenium that I started to notice big changes. The best way to use magnesium is applied to the skin as a lotion. A lot of people who use it this way use magnesium chloride flakes which you can buy cheaply as road de-icer or as an aquarium water additive. Another one is dead sea salt which is high in magnesium chloride - mix up a saturated solution in water and apply to the skin. The selenium is a trace mineral so you only need a small amount but a vet listen to on the internet suggests a higher does and it has worked out good for me. The pills are usually 200mcg - that's micrograms NOT milligrams and the vet says you need 1000mcg or 1 mg. So I take about 5 selenium pills during the day.

There is a book called 'The Concise Book of Trigger Points' and it is the best book I have found showing the trigger points and how to release them yourself. It is very easy to follow but some patience is needed to find some of the trigger points and some are easy to find. The book shows exactly where the muscles are fixed on the bones and the areas of pain and referred pain from that trigger point. Some of the muscles 'knots' are very stubborn - at least some of mine are, and I believe that is due to calcification of the soft tissues. It's like your muscles are turning to bone almost. They can feel crunchy like crushing a piece of soft chalk. That's where the selenium and also vitamin k2 come in. They get the calcium back in the bones apparently, and out of places where it shouldn't be.

I have said for a long time that I believe it is muscle tension that causes a lot of our symptoms. My syrinx was less clear on my last MRI a couple of years ago but I still had the same problems - I know for sure, it's the muscles causing my problems and when I get my muscles sorted out I will be ok.
Graybo

Re: Atopic Dermatitis- on side affected by facial nerve pinch

Postby Peggy Dupnick » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:18 am

Thanks Graybo! I appreciate your input. I will keep your suggestions in mind as I continue to search for a better treatment plan for my son. We have an appointment w/ his neurologist this week and I will mention these issues. Not incredibly hopeful of a receptive response, but I will try.
thanks again.
Peggy Dupnick

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders