Slip in the tub a few days ago - Should I be concerned?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Slip in the tub a few days ago - Should I be concerned?

Postby NuChiarian » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:28 pm

I had a (what I think is) minor slip in the tub a few days ago. I was getting out of a bath bench and slid on to my butt into the tub. I DID NOT hit my head, there is a gap between the edge of the tub and the back of the shower (the tub is shorter), so I was pretty much at a 90 degree angle with my back supported by the back of the tub. I did not slide quickly or with much force (it didn't hurt) and remember being more concerned about my back than my head when it happened. I don't remember any head trauma and I've had no physical symptoms of it. No headaches.

I've felt fine since, but today I've been noticing strange behaviour, like instead of throwing my gum wrapper into the garbage, I'll throw the piece of gum. I'm aware that I'm doing it and I'm confused as to why.

I had a successful surgery over 2 and a half years ago for Chiari and I'm just wondering if an incident like this can cause a herniation again.
Spinal Decompression and cervical fusion with duralplasty of own tissue/May 2010 for ACM and SM

dx w/ Spina Bifida Myelomeningocele and Hydrocephalus at birth.
NuChiarian

Re: Slip in the tub a few days ago - Should I be concerned?

Postby birdlover3 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:52 pm

I've had a few falls. When I do fall, or almost fall (where I know I'm fixing to fall & can stop myself), my symptoms worsen for a few weeks and then seem to settle down. If your strange behavior does not improve, or if it worsens, I would contact your treating NS. You could contact another of your treating doctors if they know about Chiari.
birdlover3

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders