Coughing after successful surgery

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Coughing after successful surgery

Postby jfreema » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:24 am

I'm sick and having coughing fits as bad as they could get, violent coughing fits. I had surgery in 2010, and it shrank my syrinx completely. With this illness, the back of my head has started hurting. I hurt with each cough and I hurt in general like my neck is stiff and like I've been hit with a 2 x 4. Do I need to worry at all about hurting something back there? I'm hoping it's just soreness and nothing serious, but the pain has gotten bad enough now to scare me just a little. I'm also sore around my ribs so am thinking maybe it's just muscles in my head/neck as well. Does anyone have experience with heavy coughing after a successful surgery?
Jennifer
Pre-Op: SM C2-T4 (2mm C2 to C5, 6 mm C5 to T1, 2 mm T1 to T2, 7 mm T2 to T4), CM 8 mm
PFD surgery May 2010
Post-Op: Syrinx has completely disappeared - no evidence at all!
Surgeon: Dr. John Heiss at the NIH
jfreema

Re: Coughing after successful surgery

Postby gunflint » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:23 am

I'm sure that you know more about this than I do but I know that coughing is a trigger for SM symptoms. It's like hitting the starter on a "neurological storm." If I were you I would get your GP to get you some heavy duty cough syrup asap. I'm on the edge of my understanding here but I believe that coughing is like a Valsalva maneuver. This is from Wiki.
Neurology
The Valsalva maneuver is used to aid in the clinical diagnosis of problems or injury in the nerves of the cervical spine.[12] Upon performing the Valsalva maneuver, intraspinal pressure slightly increases. Thus, neuropathies or radicular pain may be felt or exacerbated, and this may indicate impingement on a nerve by an intervertebral disc or other part of the anatomy. Headache and pain upon performing the Valsalva maneuver is also one of the main symptoms in Arnold-Chiari Malformation

Edited to add: This is probably one of the most irrational fears I have regarding a Syrinx. I'm afraid that I could go into a coughing jag and never walk again.
gunflint

Postby rdm73 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:04 pm

My surgery was in Jan 2011. The wound location is still tender. I definately have increased symptoms during and after heavy coughing. During a coughing fit, I have increased and sharp pain upper body (neck, shoulders, arms, hands) and uncontrollable spasms in my arms and hands. After a fit, I have headaches and pain at the wound location. It seems like there may be tearing in the wound. It's scary!! I've discussed it with my NS and I'm told it takes time for complete healing after surgery. I knew that, but I didn't expect it to be two years later w/o healing.

Good luck with your journey!!
I feel your pain!!

Pop
rdm73

Postby jfreema » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:36 am

I thought I'd touch base now that my coughing is lessening, for someone's future reference. I had a headache in the back of my head for most of my sickness, so it had worried me. It has settled down with mostly no pain unless I cough and then I feel it as pressure only when coughing. I'm very relieved that it seems I didn't hurt myself permanently by coughing so hard. Thanks for your answers to my question. I really appreciate it!
Jennifer
Pre-Op: SM C2-T4 (2mm C2 to C5, 6 mm C5 to T1, 2 mm T1 to T2, 7 mm T2 to T4), CM 8 mm
PFD surgery May 2010
Post-Op: Syrinx has completely disappeared - no evidence at all!
Surgeon: Dr. John Heiss at the NIH
jfreema

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders