Switching Sides

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Switching Sides

Postby gunflint » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:23 am

My symptoms first presented on the left side. Burning in my forearm, dropping things, weakness etc. Now I'm starting to notice a burning in my right forearm. Does this often happen? I was thinking that nerve damage done by the syrinx would remain on the same side because of the pressure point of the CSF. Has anyone else noticed or has anyone else had symptoms go from one side to the other? With this and my sweating on one side issue I guess I'll have more to talk to Dr Heiss about in October than just fishing.
gunflint

Re: Switching Sides

Postby Andrea » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:36 pm

I will be watching this as well as my symptoms are very one sided and I worry about the possibility of them moving sides. I'm so dominant with my left it would scare me to loose some of that function.
Andrea

Postby gunflint » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:26 pm

I realized after I posted that my symptoms aren't switching sides. It just seems that the right side may be catching up to the left. That's why I posted. I wanted to know if it's happened to others.
gunflint

Postby alpowers01 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:41 pm

This makes much more sense. Symptom progression can be very insidious. Perhaps, a diary in which you make regular entries, e.g., once each month, will help you track what's happening. This could prove extremely helpful to your physician. In my own case, my symptoms progressed very slowly for many years... slight shawl-pattern numbness (mostly over one shoulder, then both) and burning that became progressively intense. In recent years, my right foot became slightly numb... then my left foot... then my calves... and, now my thighs. I think it's unlikely that, once a symptom sets in, it will disappear. There may be a stretch where it may seem to be gone, but it's reasonable to anticipate its becoming more noticeable with time.
alpowers01

Postby Metalmommy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:34 pm

Since I have started having symptoms (like 3 months ago) I have had mostly issues with my left side, on occasion my right arm will feel funny or I will get pins and needles. I have no idea if this is "normal" I so far only have been diagnosed with a syrinx tho.
Metalmommy

Postby alpowers01 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:01 am

I don't think anything is "normal" or "abnormal" with respect to CM/SM symptoms. Instead, look upon them as "they are what they are" and document them on a regular basis. When you visit your neurologist or neurosurgeon, show him/her the documentation and move forward from there. This said, the symptoms you describe don't appear unusual.
alpowers01

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders