Second surgery to have titanium mesh plate - and questions.

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Second surgery to have titanium mesh plate - and questions.

Postby lorwi » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:14 pm

Hi everyone - so i'm coming up on my 2 year anniversary of my decompression surgery and almost 2 years of constant headaches and neck pain. After struggling to find out what and where the pain was coming from and dealing with nerve blocks, spinal taps and more, I finally went up to Johns Hopkins last Thursday and met with Dr. Weingart. He reviewed my scans pre- and post-op and asked me for a history. I gave him a brief history and he had it figured out immediately.

I never healed from the original surgery. For whatever reason, my neck muscles never adhered to the graft and never grew back over the decompression site leaving me pretty much with a gaping hole in my head. So he's going to go back in and put in the titanium mesh plate over the graft to which my neck muscles can adhere to and grow back like they should have originally. He said he had found this happened to approx. 10-15 % of his patients which is why he now uses this mesh plate 100% of the time just to avoid this happening.

so here's my question - how many of you have experienced this pain and have any of you gone if for a revision to have the mesh implant put in and how did it go? Although I'm not thrilled about having to have surgery again, the thought of feeling better is worth it a thousand times over!!
Thanks everyone...
Lori
lorwi

Re: Second surgery to have titanium mesh plate - and questions.

Postby zenkeeper » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:48 pm

Hey There....I am in the EXACT same boat as you - so much that I could have written your post word for word.

I am 2 years and 2 months post op and it is has been not so good. Just like you described... I saw Dr. Bejani in P-burg and he said the same thing to me that Dr. W. said to you. I have "soft spot" headaches sooooo very often and it feels like the muscles have adhered to my dura and I can literally feel it pulling when I move my head. I can go a couple of weeks and feel okay and then BOOM it's all back again. Head and headache pain that I never had prior to my PFD. I

Dr. B. has recommended a titanium plate as well. I was scheduled to have it done this past summer but decided to canc. for now. I am sooo scared to come out worse then I am right now. I never had the issues I have now prior to my PFD and am really concerned what would happen if this made me worse in the long run. So fear keeps me from getting it done.....But then when I have those days where just turning my head could trigger a massive throbber I want to call and get it done. I go back and forth with it....

I had some other health issues that I needed to get in check as well. I also believe that part of my on-going problem may have something to do with an on-going reaction to the bovine patch. I am allergic to beef and also had a severe case of meningitis after the surgery which I was TOLD was my body reacting to the patch material. It seems like it is just never ending sometimes. Please let me know what you decide to do and best of luck. DW
zenkeeper

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders