Muscle Spasms, are they common??

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Muscle Spasms, are they common??

Postby creken85 » Thu May 10, 2012 9:05 pm

I have a "small" idiopathic thoracic syrinx, t7-t11 and get a lot of muscle spasms and twitches all over my body every day.....arms, legs, torso, back....on both sides. They seem to increase with activity level and/or level of pain.

Does anybody else get these? If so, what is the theory as to why they're caused, especially in parts of the body not "connected" to the nerves in the vicinity of the syrinx...ie thoracic
creken85

Re: Muscle Spasms, are they common??

Postby karenb » Fri May 11, 2012 12:28 pm

I have a "small" idiopathic syrinx from T6-T9.

One of my first symptoms (15 years ago) was that my peroneal muscle "locked" into a spasm - it's like a tight cord that runs down the side of my left leg from knee to foot. I also have the "twitches" (my doctor refers to them as "myoclonus") - mine were so bad and so frequent by the time I was diagnosed that I was almost collapsing 40-50 times a day - it had become so frequent that I didn't even notice it. I also get (now occasional) episodes of seizure-like activity in my legs - usually when I'm extremely fatigued. Other triggers I've discovered are muscle fatigue (e.g. overusing a muscle group during a specific activity), dehydration, low blood sugar, physical exertion, and anaesthesia.

My NL started treatment with Klonopin (a benzodiazepine) the day he diagnosed me. That has helped a lot with the twitching and such. I found I couldn't tolerate the side effects during the day, so I now take it only at bedtime. It doesn't help with the permanent muscle spasms or with spasticity, but I take another medication to minimize the spasticity, and I've learned to live with the spasms (by and large).

I'd be happy to PM with you about my own "theories" about why this happens - I'd rather not put it on the board, since it's just my ruminating and not proven science.

Karen
karenb

Postby creken85 » Tue May 29, 2012 7:42 pm

Karen,

Thanks for your response. Interestingly, one of the first places I started noticing symptoms was the peroneal muscle area and also my left hip and groin. My first diagnosis was actually a labral tear in my hip, HAH! I'd be interested to hear your theory regarding spasms. I believe I've read some of your other posts regarding lactic acid.

Chris
creken85

Postby drummergrl » Wed May 30, 2012 6:46 pm

I have this problem too, though I've been told the term is "fasiculations"- is this the same thing as myoclonus?

Also, I had to laugh: I had the spasms (though it's worse now) and other pain that led to a visit with a hip surgeon. I actually did have a labral tear in my hip that needed surgery! The spasms don't seem to be related to the tear at all since I still have them, but I appreciated the irony :) Hope you get some relief soon!
CM, SM, Scoliosis
drummergrl

Postby JeffinMI77 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:32 pm

Creken, my syrinx's are close to yours and I also have bulging disc there too. I have muscle spasm and twitches all the time. Especially when i'm lying in bed trying to fall asleep...I had a neurologist tell me it was normal, that he had twitches too. I don't think this is normal, lol. He also said the the syrinx's were too small. So I think the answer is yes, they're pretty common. My twitches are all over my body.
syrinx x2 T7-T8 to T9, and T11-T12 to T12-L1...also bulging disc at T4-T5, T6-T7, and T8-T9.
JeffinMI77

Postby karenb » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:01 pm

Interesting... I started having problems with my left hip about 9 years after developing the spasm in my left peroneal muscle...

My understanding is that "fasciculation" refers to muscle twitching - that's definitely not what I'm experiencing (although I do get it from time to time, it's more annoying than painful). The permanent muscle spasms I've been experienced are where the muscle is so taught that it's like a cord running down the side of my leg (I've heard the term "spastic hypertonia" used for something like this) - they're painful and definitely don't include twitching. What I refer to as "myoclonus" (my neurologist used that term for it) is a jerking sort of action that affects the whole limb. During the day, I usually experience it as a single hard kick - I may end up hitting the back of whatever's in front of me, or I may kick my lunch partner under the table. At night and when I've been in the water, it is more extended - multiple rapid hard kicks that look to some like a seizure from the waist down - it's much stronger than a fasciculation.

Don't know if any of my babbling helps...

Karen
karenb

Postby TabulaRasa » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:53 pm

What triggered my CM symptoms was a muscle spasm that froze all the muscles in my neck. I've had thoracic muscle spasms really close to my spine for years.
Diagnosed with CM 1mm herniation June 12th, 2012
TabulaRasa

Postby karenb » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:42 pm

Wow! I had the permanent spasms in both peroneal muscles for about 10 years before I was diagnosed (August 28, 2007... but who's keeping track?).

Best wishes!

Karen
karenb

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders